Are these issues normal behaviour?

mattzildjian

Hello Wiim Community!

I recently purchased a used Wiim Amp and I've had a few oddities that I wanted to make sure wasnt a hardware fault or something like that.

Firstly bluetooth connection from my windows laptop has occasional stutters, and about 1 second latency, although the latency is not predictable and varies a lot when I stop and start audio playback, sometimes the latency is minimal, and sometimes it is multiple seconds.

I thought to try from my android phone to test, and it just wouldnt show up on the avaiable devices list, even after disconnecting from the windows laptop. I kept waiting for it to show up for over half an hour, and eventually it just miraculously showed up, and I was able to pair. Same thing happened from an iphone too, wouldnt show up for a long time before it suddenly did. normal?

The latency on the android phone is similar to windows, however if I turn off HD Audio setting in the settings of the bluetooth device on android, latency is reduced to an acceptable amount and it seems quite stable.

I have my Wiim amp mostly in use for my TV using HDMI eARC, and on 2 occasions, the HDMI connection has dropped and my TV has reverted back to in built TV speakers and I've had to reset the sound out device back to eARC. It happens while I am changing volume.

The amp seems to go to sleep after about 2-3 minutes regardless of the standby mode timer setting. After about 3 minutes of no audio activity, I hear a small pop, and it needs audio activity to wake up again with a fade in.

After I turn off my TV, the amp goes into standby, if I turn on bluetooth on my phone, the amp will connect to bluetooth and I see the status colour change, but then it immediately switches back to hdmi and goes to standby, however my phone still thinks it is outputting to the Wiim and the phone speakers go off.

I get a pop when the amp wakes and when it sleeps

Are these issues to be expected and likely to be ironed out via firmware updates or should I be concerned that this unit is not performing correctly?

The unit is a pcb version 5.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most of your issues seem to be related to bluetooth. I don't use bluetooth, so can't say if it's normal. However, it doesn't sound acceptable, so I would contact the support.

The other issues (pops on wake-up, HDMI-ARC drop-out) I have not witnessed. Initially had a lot of issues with HDMI, but already worked out with firmware updates a while back.

Back