Avoiding digital overload using the WiiM digital volume control

Musician

Major Contributor
Hi.
Im using the PEQ function , and at the same time using the variable volume control mostly about 10 dB below maximum, but having the constant volume limiter at 100 % . I only use PEQ to lower peaks.

Having those settings - is there enough digital headroom to avoid digital clipping ? Is it enough to avoid clipping to have the volumelimiter at 100% and at the same time using the variable volumecontrol with about -10 dB margin ?

…or do you have to lower the volume limiter to 95% to be sure, even when using the volume control at -10 dB, to avoid any clipping ?

I only use PEQ to lower peaks.
No high Q shelving filters, then?

I cannot imagine how any combination of any number of negative gain peak filters should lead to digital clipping and require any pre-gain correction.

Overshooting shelving filters are a different story, obviously, but you know that.

Last edited:
No high Q shelving filters, then?

I cannot imagine how any combination of any number of negative gain peak filters should lead to digital clipping and require any pre-gain correction.

Overshooting shelving filters are a different story, obviously, but you know that.
So, my question is , if using PEQ with some +3 dB settings :

Is this two alternatives similar :

Volumelimiter : 100%
Volumecontrol : set to about 90%

Or :

Volumelimiter : 90 %
Volumecontrol : fixed ( 100 % )

Or :

The limiter and volume controls are multiplicative iirc, so the nett result is the same. If prefer the latter settings as I guess you can change the limit depending on what set of PEQ parameters you’re using at the time, and as requested WiiM might actually add the feature to work out what the limit should be set to for each set.

Or :

No. One % of the volume reduction does not equal to one % of the volume limiter in terms of the volume attenuation.

The limiter and volume controls are multiplicative iirc, so the nett result is the same. If prefer the latter settings as I guess you can change the limit depending on what set of PEQ parameters you’re using at the time, and as requested WiiM might actually add the feature to work out what the limit should be set to for each set.
I thought if you leave the Volume Limiter at 100% and use filters with positive gain you can get clipping at any Volume Control setting. The only way to avoiding input signal clipping is to lower the Volume Limiter setting. I could be wrong.

I thought if you leave the Volume Limiter at 100% and use filters with positive gain you can get clipping at any Volume Control setting. The only way to avoiding input signal clipping is to lower the Volume Limiter setting. I could be wrong.
I think that was my thinking in the second part of my response but perhaps my first part was wrong given what you and @onlyoneme say

My understanding is that the Volume Limiter is applied before PEQ.
The Volume control, instead, is applied after PEQ.
Hence, I agree that the only way to avoid clipping is to lower the Volume Limiter.
But I could very well be wrong...

Thank you onlyoneme !
So, no problem at all with +3 dB PEQ use
If using 90% of the volume control .
quite basically and modestly with a chirp and for example an acquisition in num domain, it is quite simple to observe in a few clicks the level to be respected to avoid any risk of saturation
;-)

Attachments

• Log-Chirp 48000 24bits 0dB 1reps.wav
    384 KB
Back