Bitrate/frequency view in app

It shows the music service what it sends, not Wiim. I don't know if there is conversion in Wiim. When using Apple Music on Android and Chromecast in Wiim, no information. Airplay also limits quality, although Apple Music shows 24/192. I would like to be sure if the signal has been changed or limited.

I've confirmed that, with LMS/Squeezelite at least, the the WiiM app shows the type/rate/depth of the source file regardless of any transcoding settings and what is actually sent to the WiiM

It shows the music service what it sends, not Wiim. I don't know if there is conversion in Wiim. When using Apple Music on Android and Chromecast in Wiim, no information.

That’s a limitation of Chromecast - WiiM devices can’t accurately determine the info over Chromecst so rather than display erroneous info, they chose not to show any. WiiM devices output up to the resolution set in their digital outputs but otherwise don’t change the input resolution.

Airplay also limits quality, although Apple Music shows 24/192. I would like to be sure if the signal has been changed or limited.
It’s well known that Apple Music over Airplay is reduced to lossy AAC except in very particular circumstances, and even in those it’s limited to the 24/48 that Airplay supports.

The device you connect to might have the information you want.

Thank you for an interesting article. I see that this is not a simple matter. I do not have any signaling in my DAC and I do not know what really goes into it and what happened to the signal before. If I set it to a fixed signal, it will be 24/192 but it is not known whether there was a conversion before and what it was. That is why I ask Wiim to show us this. This would be a great function.

The fixed output resolution is primarily used to resolve issues with external DACs which click or pop between sample rate changes. If your DAC doesn’t exhibit this behaviour, then leave that switch off. If off, the WiiM device will output at the resolution of the input signal up to the maximum resolution set on your WiiM’s digital output, so if that’s set as 24/192 and your DAC can support that, all signals will pass thru with the same bit depth and sample rate.

Back