Coaxial Connection to DAC

NAIAN

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about buying the WiiM Pro for streaming only and I would like to connect it to my DAC.

My thought would be: WiiM Pro coaxial> Coaxial cable with BNC Adapter on it> BNC connection in DAC.

Would it be possible to buy a coaxial cable and plug a BNC connector on it to connect it with the BNC input of the DAC?
Any answer is appreciated!

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about buying the WiiM Pro for streaming only and I would like to connect it to my DAC.

My thought would be: WiiM Pro coaxial> Coaxial cable with BNC Adapter on it> BNC connection in DAC.

Would it be possible to buy a coaxial cable and plug a BNC connector on it to connect it with the BNC input of the DAC?
Any answer is appreciated!

Is it a connector like this?

@alpha_zulu I think the BNC connection from my DAC is better. Its a Newontech DAC 07.

@Wiimer yes, exactly. I mean it should work, right? I was not 100% sure, thats why I ask. I would just buy the BNC adapter on the second picture of this thread. Plugging it on my Coaxial cable and it should work I guess.

@alpha_zulu I think the BNC connection from my DAC is better. Its a Newontech DAC 07.

@Wiimer yes, exactly. I mean it should work, right? I was not 100% sure, thats why I ask. I would just buy the BNC adapter on the second picture of this thread. Plugging it on my Coaxial cable and it should work I guess.
I have never used it, but it should be fine.🙂

BNC connectors were designed for radio frequency equipment connections up to 2 GHz and allow the connector to maintain the same impedance as the cable itself. Given the relatively low frequency requirements of digital audio, I wouldn't get too worried about the impedance details of a RCA-->BNC adapter. Pretty much anything should work well.

Last edited:

@Wiimer yes, exactly. I mean it should work, right? I was not 100% sure, thats why I ask. I would just buy the BNC adapter on the second picture of this thread. Plugging it on my Coaxial cable and it should work I guess.Why use an adapter when you can use an optical cable. Optical is muy bueno. What makes you think the BNC connector is better?
Optical is muy bueno. What makes you think the BNC connection is better?

Optical is muy bueno. What makes you think the BNC connection is better?

Toslink receivers are not as good as the best S/PDIF-Coax/BNC receivers. My tests indicate coax in a Pro is superior to Toslink. YMMV with whatever external DAC you use.

BNC connectors were designed for radio frequency equipment connections up to 2 GHz and allow the connector to maintain the same impedance as the cable itself. Given the relatively low frequency requirements of digital audio, I wouldn't get too worried about the impedance details of a RCA-->BNC adapter. Pretty much anything should work well.
Best BNC feature, it's the compliance with 75 Ohm impedance required for good coupling in spdif connections.
Frequencies can reach several MHz at higher sample rate but in home use, with short length cables, due to lesser costs, prevailed the not so fitted RCA. It works anyway but rarely, 75 Ohm claimed cables are really at that impedance.
An adapter BNC RCA, raises the probability of not have correct inpedance, especially on gears with RCA inlet, where this value, can vary a lot.

Toslink receivers are not as good as the best S/PDIF-Coax/BNC receivers. My tests indicate coax in a Pro is superior to Toslink. YMMV with whatever external DAC you use.
I just don’t like the idea of an adapter. Coax in a Pro superior to Toslink? Tell me about your tests please. I have a Pro and I’ve never tried a Coax because the optical cable I use sounds fantastic. Honestly, how much more fantastic could it possibly sound? I reckon I could purchase a quality coax cable and find out but I think I’d be chasing my tail not to mention spending money for what I am sure would be very little if any gain. My opinions only. Thanks.

I just don’t like the idea of an adapter. Coax in a Pro superior to Toslink? Tell me about your tests please. I have a Pro and I’ve never tried a Coax because the optical cable I use sounds fantastic. Honestly, how much more fantastic could it possibly sound? I reckon I could purchase a quality coax cable and find out but I think I’d be chasing my tail not to mention spending money for what I am sure would be very little if any gain. My opinions only. Thanks.

Of course if you like what you have keep listening. It’s all system dependent.

I have already noticed this in my own home. When I connect the WiiM Pro Plus to the DAC (ESS 9028PRO) of my Buchardt amplifier via coax (Audioquest forest cable), it sounds fuller, warmer and more ‘analogue’. Sometimes I have the impression that it sounds even more finely resolved via the optical connection ... but also less relaxed during long-term listening.

You can also order direct from BJC where they can make RCA in one end and BNC in the other - no adapters:
By far and away the best solution!

I have no expressed opinion on the toslink vs. coaxial debate, but if one wants to go with coaxial cables and hope for better quality any RCA to BNC adapter is out of question. Using a directly mounted BNC connector at least on one end has the potential to remove or at least reduce reflections. RCA plugs are not really suited to maintain a characteristic impedance, anyway. Any adapter represents a discontinuity and will cause reflections, no doubt.

By far and away the best solution!

I have no expressed opinion on the toslink vs. coaxial debate, but if one wants to go with coaxial cables and hope for better quality any RCA to BNC adapter is out of question. Using a directly mounted BNC connector at least on one end has the potential to remove or at least reduce reflections. RCA plugs are not really suited to maintain a characteristic impedance, anyway. Any adapter represents a discontinuity and will cause reflections, no doubt.

But… the WiiM does not have a BNC out. A coax input to a BNC output is not ideal. My DAC has a BNC input and for the Pro I used the BJC 75 Ohm (Canare wire with Canare 75 Ohm RCA) which I think is a better fit. Other people I know also use this cable.

Back