Connecting WiiM Pro Plus to amplifier method

wobblewoo

Hello

I've just purchased a WiiM Pro Plus and have some questions if someone who knows more than me could help please?

I'll use the WiiM for streaming (Tidal or Qobuz) and play through a LEAK 130 amp to some B&W 606's.

If i connect the WiiM to the LEAK's AUX1 via RCA, am i right in that the DAC in the WiiM will be used? And if i connect via the COAX or OPT1 that the LEAK's DAC will be used?

Is it subjective or is one a superior DAC? And i will listen to both.

Internal DACs:
WiiM: AKM4493SEQ
LEAK 130: ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018K2M

I think i've also read that the COAX route is superior to optical - is that a thing?

Many thanks for your time

Wx

If i connect the WiiM to the LEAK's AUX1 via RCA, am i right in that the DAC in the WiiM will be used? And if i connect via the COAX or OPT1 that the LEAK's DAC will be used?
All correct.

Is it subjective or is one a superior DAC? And i will listen to both.
The first rule should be to just trust your ears. If it sounds better to you, it is better.

The DAC chip used is not the only component influencing the sound. On paper theses DACs are not too different, anyway.

I think i've also read that the COAX route is superior to optical - is that a thing?
Not quite true. In theory, coax and optical are both S/PDIF and support the same sample frequencies and bit depths. In practice, some implementations have trouble doing 192 kHz 24 bit through optical (if this is even an issue). But optical offers a perfect electrical isolation which could proof more important in the end.

I would recommend you try all options and stick with what works reliably and sounds best to you.

Entirely subjective but unfortunately you’ll see opinions (and that’s all they are, not fact) that coax is better than optical, the glass is better than plastic fibre etc etc ad nauseum.

You’re better off trying each method and deciding for yourself as your kit, speakers, room acoustics, preferences, ears and brain are unique to you :)

Enjoy the music :)

Ears it is then. I only got the WiiM for it's integration with numerous input sources that I can control via an app.

Next is a speaker upgrade/change and I'm looking at Wharfedale Linton or Super Denton if anyone has any experience of a similar system.

I'll keep playing vinyl through the LEAKs phono as that is sounding good.

Thanks for all the replies. Wx

Back