Digital volume control = reduced bit rate?

MrA

I seem to recall being told (or reading somewhere) that many digital volume controls simply reduce the bit rate with adjustment and I want to ensure my music remains at the original & highest resolution.

Can anyone confirm what the situation is with the WiiM Ultra please? I have currently set it at 100% default volume and use my preamp volume control.

For background & an introduction as a new member.....
I recently tried a Pro+ in my system and within the 14 day return window (Richer Sounds) upgraded it to an Ultra. I'm using an external DAC into a rather complex two DEQX processor, 2 channel, digital crossover/time aligned Open baffle system (ten speaker drivers including two active subs & four power power amps). The room is a dedicated listening space, fully treated walls, ceiling, corners etc.

I have a lot of stored FLAC files but the 4TB WD HD on a Synology has failed yet again (two HDs in ten years which isn't bad, everything is backed up). Having an Amazon HD Music Unlimited Family Plan I decided that it's time to take advantage of the simplicity of streaming but also have the convenience of storing & listening to a reasonable number of 'unique or rare' downloads (many from Bandamp) on USB.

The WiiM Ultra fits my needs perfectly although to my ears, I still (just) prefer my external DAC to either of the WiiM inbuilt versions. Having said that I am mightily impressed with everything about the Ultra and the way this company is developing the firmware/features. The DACs chosen by WiiM in both the Pro+ & Ultra are very nice sounding and I could easily live with either of these by the way.

I seem to recall being told (or reading somewhere) that many digital volume controls simply reduce the bit rate with adjustment and I want to ensure my music remains at the original & highest resolution.

Can anyone confirm what the situation is with the WiiM Ultra please? I have currently set it at 100% default volume and use my preamp volume control.

For background & an introduction as a new member.....
I recently tried a Pro+ in my system and within the 14 day return window (Richer Sounds) upgraded it to an Ultra. I'm using an external DAC into a rather complex two DEQX processor, 2 channel, digital crossover/time aligned Open baffle system (ten speaker drivers including two active subs & four power power amps). The room is a dedicated listening space, fully treated walls, ceiling, corners etc.

I have a lot of stored FLAC files but the 4TB WD HD on a Synology has failed yet again (two HDs in ten years which isn't bad, everything is backed up). Having an Amazon HD Music Unlimited Family Plan I decided that it's time to take advantage of the simplicity of streaming but also have the convenience of storing & listening to a reasonable number of 'unique or rare' downloads (many from Bandamp) on USB.

The WiiM Ultra fits my needs perfectly although to my ears, I still (just) prefer my external DAC to either of the WiiM inbuilt versions. Having said that I am mightily impressed with everything about the Ultra and the way this company is developing the firmware/features. The DACs chosen by WiiM in both the Pro+ & Ultra are very nice sounding and I could easily live with either of these by the way.
AFAIK they use 32 bit processing for volume.

Digital volume control by very definition means "loss of precision". In theory. But since the audio signals are limited to 24 bit and processing is done at 32 bit there are actually 8 bits to lose without any consequences. The result is that there is absolutely no perceivable loss of precision.

Actually, a broad range of volume control really technically has no impact at all. The range where there is some (but really just some) loss of precision is in the very low volume range where nobody is able to spot any difference.

OK thanks -so I guess I wouldn't notice anything.

I'm using analogue vol control this eve but I may switch to control via the WiiM next session.

Back