Distortion when using coaxial out

albdusty

Im wondering if anyone encountered the following issue. I play cds 90% of the time but music discovery is done with the WiiM Pro. I use coaxial for both the cd player and the streamer. My Chord Mscaler has 2 coax bnc inputs so I use both of them at the same time. If the cd player is playing and I start playing something on the WiiM Pro without switching the active input on the MScaler the sound gets distorted. The signal from the WiiM Pro seems to mess with the MScaler in such a way that it plays both sources and distorted on top of that. The standby time of the WiiM Pro is set to 30 seconds. If I stop the playback and wait 30 seconds the distortion goes away. I have asked friends that own the MScaler if they are using both of the bnc inputs at the same time and they do and they report no issues. It seems that the problem is with the WiiM Pro. EQ is off, fixed volume, coax quality set on 192/24. What could it be?

I can see some logic in assuming the wiim is the issue, but I'd also wonder why a signal into the coax input that's not actively selected would affect the one that is.
I can have optical, coax, aux etc. all playing into my dac/amp at the same time, but only the one selected plays.
For you to say "...that it plays both sources..." implies an issue in the mscaler to me!
Have you got another source you can plug in?

What if WiiM is the only signal source? Is it also distorted?
There is no 2 way communication in spdif, so the WiiM just sends its signal. WiiM's output has no galvanic isolation, maybe this is the reason? From my perspective the DAC should handle it.

Back