Help me with my Wiim purchases and setup please!

3waller

Hello new friends, I need some help and advice please. My RTI AD 8 and AD 4 are no longer selecting zones and I'm tired of being held hostage by them for the last 12 years. I have migrated everything else to be under my own control and the music is the last step. I've looked at the do-it-yourself prosumer alternatives (HTD, Dayton, etc) and I think Wiim is my best choice. Please help me with purchasing the right components and confirming I'm making the right choice for my setup.

Sources
I only play SiriusXM and Spotify. I understand I can use Spotify from the Wiim app but I will have to cast from Android for the SiriusXM app on my phone. No big deal as that is my current scenario. Turn on RTI from ipad, select zone, volume and source, then control with phone. I guess I could use the Ipad for Wiim, but will prefer my phone.

9+Zones
I have 4 zones that I use frequently and never play a different source from one another. All zones are 2 speaker hard wired and I will run them in stereo.

Kitchen - in ceiling
Dining - in ceiling
Patio - in ceiling
Cabana - wall brackets

The other 5 zones are played less frequently and may be on at the same time as the above 4 zones. In order of use:

Gym - in ceiling
Master Bath - in ceiling
Garage - wall brackets
Bar - in ceiling
Office - bookshelves

Current Amps

I have 5 existing amps I can use for this project. The first two listed are 2 zone. They are being used as AVRs for 2 TV setups but I was thinking of using the second zone with a Wiim as a dedicated source. The other amps I can dedicate to a Wiim plus or Pro.

Thoughts/Questions
- Before I commit to Wiim, is there any reason to think this isn't going to be a good choice for my needs? While the speakers are all decent quality, most are in ceiling so there is a limit to sound quality. I'm looking for good sound with equipment that works that won't be redundant in 5 years.
- What happens if Wiim goes under or stops supporting the App?
- Is there a good and easy way to shut off power to the amps when I turn off the Wiim(s)? I don't want to run around with remotes and IR blasters to turn off the amps. I believe they all have 30 minutes shut off settings, but it would be nice if there was a better solution.
- I don't see the Amp Pro on Amazon yet, do you know when it is available to purchase?
- Does it matter which Wiim I plug my source into? Is one type better than another? Will use an older Chromecast audio unless you guys have better ideas. I have an echo dot or regular Chromecast handy as well.

Proposed Setup

If I am good to use my 5 existing amps for 5 zones, then I will need another 4 Wiim Amps or Amp Pros. I'm thinking I use the Wiim Amps on the 1st more frequently used zones as power shut off won't be any issue. Not to sure whether I should be getting Pro or Pro Plus versions of these. I know the minis are out as they don't have chromecast. My best guess in the name of $ efficiency:

Kitchen - in ceiling - Amp Pro (I use this zone most often)
Dining - in ceiling - Amp (the next 3 zones are never loud)
Patio - in ceiling - Amp
Cabana - wall brackets - Amp

Gym - in ceiling - Pro Plus (bigger speakers, played loud at times) - SONY STR-DB930
Master Bath - in ceiling - Pro - Pioneer VSX-820
Garage - wall brackets - Pro - Denon AVR-590
Bar - in ceiling - Pro - Denon AVR S760H - 2nd Zone
Office - bookshelves - Pro - Denon AVR S760H - 2nd Zone

I'd love to get any feedback before I pull the trigger, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Thanks!

One small point, you don’t use Spotify from within the WiiM app, you cast from the Spotify app to WiiM devices. All the Spotify link in the WiiM app does is to launch the Spotify app

One small point, you don’t use Spotify from within the WiiM app, you cast from the Spotify app to WiiM devices. All the Spotify link in the WiiM app does is to launch the Spotify app
Thanks for clarifying Burnside. Doesn't set me back as that is my current MO with RTI which doesn't bother me.

Can't speak to the non-amplified zones, but I have 3 Pro+ units running three of my 5 zones and they work well. In two of the three zones I am feeding basic amplifiers using the Pro+ units for preamplification and volume control, and switching the amps on using a 12v trigger cable for one, and onboard signal sensing in the other. My third Pro+ is feeding an AVR in my theater room, output fixed, and the AVR manually switched on when desired. Grouping everything (including two additional zones using non-WiiM LinkPlay devices) into the same playback is easy. The only difficulties are that the first unit/zone becomes the master for the entire group, and you can only add/remove from that, you can cannot remove the master from the group (you'd have to stop the playback, ungroup everything, and restart playback from a different unit/zone). I am hoping that this could be rectified in a future app update.

Pro vs. Pro+ = mostly (only?) superior DAC output in the Pro+. Depends on how you want to handle DAC with the various AVRs vs. the WiiM unit.

Can't speak to the non-amplified zones, but I have 3 Pro+ units running three of my 5 zones and they work well. In two of the three zones I am feeding basic amplifiers using the Pro+ units for preamplification and volume control, and switching the amps on using a 12v trigger cable for one, and onboard signal sensing in the other. My third Pro+ is feeding an AVR in my theater room, output fixed, and the AVR manually switched on when desired. Grouping everything (including two additional zones using non-WiiM LinkPlay devices) into the same playback is easy. The only difficulties are that the first unit/zone becomes the master for the entire group, and you can only add/remove from that, you can cannot remove the master from the group (you'd have to stop the playback, ungroup everything, and restart playback from a different unit/zone). I am hoping that this could be rectified in a future app update.

Pro vs. Pro+ = mostly (only?) superior DAC output in the Pro+. Depends on how you want to handle DAC with the various AVRs vs. the WiiM unit.
Thanks Hazenhart. I don't think the amps I mentioned in my original post have trigger cable capabilities. I think I may need a dumber solution like a power bar that turns off outlets when a master outlet is turned off, if they make those. Ie, Wiim powers off so it powers off the other outlet with the amp.

I had a LInkPlay, I don't think that fits in my scenario. I want to control zones and groups from the Wiim app. Just looking to do music with this.

Re your last comment, how do you think I should handle it? I am open to ideas regarding source hardware, the only requirements are that I can run Spotify and SiriuxXM app from my phone to Wiim.

Thanks Hazenhart. I don't think the amps I mentioned in my original post have trigger cable capabilities. I think I may need a dumber solution like a power bar that turns off outlets when a master outlet is turned off, if they make those. Ie, Wiim powers off so it powers off the other outlet with the amp.

I had a LInkPlay, I don't think that fits in my scenario. I want to control zones and groups from the Wiim app. Just looking to do music with this.

Re your last comment, how do you think I should handle it? I am open to ideas regarding source hardware, the only requirements are that I can run Spotify and SiriuxXM app from my phone to Wiim.
I think if you're trying to save some $$ you should just get the Pro version. Connect it digitally if you want to use the DAC in the AVRs (S760H probably has a good one), or run it analog input and enjoy your tunes.

Back