How should I "setup" in Roon of WiiM Pro for Tidal MQA?

hitomi1087

There are a few questions that I haven't figured out:
1. Does WiiM Pro have an MQA decoder?
2. In Roon's settings, how should I set up the parts related to the MQA of WiiM Pro?

My WiiM Pro is the latest firmware 4.8.628343, EQ is turned off, and the fixed volume output is 100%, but in the audio settings, there is no MQA switch. I've seen a screenshot of your previous discussion, where there was an MQA (bata) switch.
微信图片_20241005005516.jpg

When I used the iFi ZEN USB DAC to connect to Roon to listen to Tidal MQA music, it was clear that Roon's MQA core decoder was enabled, and the MQA support capability of the iFi ZEN USB DAC was set to "renderer only"

But what about when I connect my WiiM Pro with Roon? To be clear, the WiiM Pro doesn't have any DAC downstream, just an analog output connected to a regular amplifier, which means I use the WiiM Pro as a DAC.

So, in this case, what do I need to do in Roon's audio settings correctly?
1. Should Roon's MQA core decoder be turned on or off?
2. WiiM Pro's MQA support is set to "No MQA support", "Decoder & Renderer", "Decoder Only" or "Renderer Only"?

I don't think we need to talk about the fact that Tidal is gradually replacing MQA here, the point of the question is, how do I use WiiM Pro to play Tidal MQA music correctly through Roon?

None of the current WiiM devices support MQA. They used to be able to do the first unfold, but all traces of MQA support went from the WiiM app and firmware when Tidal canned MQA.

Reactions: BEE
None of the current WiiM devices support MQA. They used to be able to do the first unfold, but all traces of MQA support went from the WiiM app and firmware when Tidal canned MQA.
Was not aware of this, HDTracks are going (soon) to offer a streaming service that will be streamed in user selectable MQA or FLAC.

Might be an age thing but I found MQA enjoyable.

Back