How to adjust EQ to reduce echoes

cehrshark

Hi everyone. I would like to get some advice on how to reduce echo while playing music. I own a soundbar that is not the best of the best, TCL Alto 8i just to watch TV with sorround effect and Dolby Atmos, and for that it works fine via HDMI. I use WIIM pro plus most of the time connected via "Optical Out" and "WIFI In" and most of times sounds good. But lately I notice like if the music via Tidal connect or Spotify is as if it was in a box with echoes. I don't hear the crispy sound but there is a muttering or something I cannot describe. This is more since they removed the MQA (I am not sure if this has to do with it). I know that the first thing you might say is that it is because is a budget soundbar, etc, etc. But anyway, if you have some piece of advice to improve it, or to teach me what to do, maybe EQ, then I will appreciate. I already tried with different graphic EQ setting, and it improves somethings, and I am not expert to calibrate the parametric EQ manually. Thank you.

To me this looks totally like the WiiM Pro Plus is not even involved but the soundbar is applying some "virtual surround" digital signal processing. I would definitely look into the soundbar settings, first.

There's not much EQ could do about it, except masking the effect to some degree. But that would be like fighting one defect with another one.

Tidal's move away from MQA certainly has nothing to do with it. Spotifiy is affected as well and they didn't make any changes to sound quality in ages.

To me this looks totally like the WiiM Pro Plus is not even involved but the soundbar is applying some "virtual surround" digital signal processing. I would definitely look into the soundbar settings, first.

There's not much EQ could do about it, except masking the effect to some degree. But that would be like fighting one defect with another one.

Tidal's move away from MQA certainly has nothing to do with it. Spotifiy is affected as well and they didn't make any changes to sound quality in ages.
Thank you so much for your insight on this matter. I think you're right. I will see if deactivating surround sound will help. :)

I work in music, this is the nature of Dolby Atmos in music. It sounds terrible basically. Atmos mixes are thrown together in about 20-30 minutes right at the end of the process. A lot of artists have been rejecting the Atmos mixes done by the label because they sound so poor (unless you have a full 9.1 speaker setup at home).

Just best to listen in stereo. Sounds better...

So, it's a good idea to check Tidal's audio & playback settings and make sure that the Dolby Atmos toggle switch is not enabled.

Does Spotify have Atmos content as well? I can't remember any setting here.

Back