Live Audio Stream from Twitch stops after 20-30 minutes

bj61251

I recently got a WiiM Amp to replace a Chromecast Audio, which I was using to cast the audio from an ASMR twitch channel (so that I didn't have to run speaker cable across my entire house from my main receiver). I cast to it using Home Assistant's media extractor integration, which worked perfectly on the Chromecast Audio. However, with the WiiM Amp, the device is randomly going idle after about 20-30 minutes of streaming (sometimes even sooner). I've turned the standby mode up as high as it goes (1 hour), but it didn't seem to affect this issue. I don't see any other settings that could be related to this problem. Being ASMR, the audio is very quiet; not sure if that would cause the device to go idle, however. Has anyone else encountered an issue like this?

Edit: being in a different location in my house, I also considered wifi strength, but the Amp is reporting a Very Good signal, so I don't think that's the problem.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Twitch app doesn't appear to have any way to cast audio only, and only displays video casting devices. The HA media extractor is the only thing I know of that can cast just the audio, but if anyone has any suggestions on other ways to cast just the audio, I'll happily try.

As for the volume, I'll try a different, regular gaming stream and see what it does.

So far, another twitch stream has run for over an hour without problems, so it may very well be something to do with the specific stream I was listening to.

I will continue testing different things, but do we know for certain there isn't something that might cause the amp to go idle if it doesn't think there's any audio?

So far, another twitch stream has run for over an hour without problems, so it may very well be something to do with the specific stream I was listening to.

I will continue testing different things, but do we know for certain there isn't something that might cause the amp to go idle if it doesn't think there's any audio?

As reported here, the WiiM amp input seems to return to standby after 15 seconds of silence. Not sure if the same thing happens with Wi-Fi or Ethernet, however.

please submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM app. A log of your device will be sent with it to help resolve the issue.

It's also possible that technology is just trying to gaslight me; I just tested the problematic stream again, both at full volume and at very low volume, and it's been casting fine the entire time. It stopped multiple times overnight, but maybe it was unrelated. 🤷‍♂️

I will keep an eye on it and submit a support ticket if it acts up again!

Back