Optical connection render low quality vs bluetooth

cehrshark

Hi, I have my Wiim pro plus connected via optical out to my sound bar TCL Alto8i, but I'm getting better audio quality when using Bluetooth out. The sound with optical is muffled, even I have calibrated the sample rate and bit depth and getting good sound during the test.

Hi, I have my Wiim pro plus connected via optical out to my sound bar TCL Alto8i, but I'm getting better audio quality when using Bluetooth out. The sound with optical is muffled, even I have calibrated the sample rate and bit depth and getting good sound during the test.
Hi,
Is the audio setting on the TV appropriate? The digital audio output should be set to PCM. Also, please check the TV's maximum volume setting, etc.

Hi,
Is the audio setting on the TV appropriate? The digital audio output should be set to PCM. Also, please check the TV's maximum volume setting, etc.
Yes, it's set to PCM and still sane issue. But it's not only with the TV. Even if I just use my phone Wiim Home app (not the TV) to connect to speaker soundbar via Optical the volume is very low and the sound is not immersive as when I use Bluetooth connection.

Yes, it's set to PCM and still sane issue. But it's not only with the TV. Even if I just use my phone Wiim Home app (not the TV) to connect to speaker soundbar via Optical the volume is very low and the sound is not immersive as when I use Bluetooth connection.
Understood, the audio output on the WiiM is fixed volume or 100%, correct?

I have calibrated the sample rate and bit depth and getting good sound during the test.
If there was no shortage of volume in the test audio, it is curious that the volume at the fixed volume is lower than that...

I think volume is set 100%, not fixed. And now I see that there is also a feature "Optical SPDIF Output fixed resolution" that could be turned on, but I didn't do. I don't know if would give some benefits

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_153150_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153150_WiiM Home.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240612_153039_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153039_WiiM Home.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 7
I set the audio sample rate till 96 kHz be ayse at 192 kHz I hear sound during the test but it's distorted, while till 96 kHz I hear clear music. Only that when playing a music it's very low, then I have to increase volume very high and not so likeable sound on comparison to Bluetooth or HDMI ARC ( when my soundbar is connected to TV abd not to Wiim)

I think volume is set 100%, not fixed. And now I see that there is also a feature "Optical SPDIF Output fixed resolution" that could be turned on, but I didn't do. I don't know if would give some benefits
The "volume limit" in the first image is the maximum volume setting. What is the actual volume?

In this image, the volume gauge is at 100%.
1000000481.jpg

I looked in the soundbar manual and did not see a setting for the optical input. If you can change the soundbar volume, please try turning down the soundbar volume and then turning up the WiiM volume until it approaches 100%. (apologies if you have already tried that.)

I set the audio sample rate till 96 kHz be ayse at 192 kHz I hear sound during the test but it's distorted, while till 96 kHz I hear clear music. Only that when playing a music it's very low, then I have to increase volume very high and not so likeable sound on comparison to Bluetooth or HDMI ARC ( when my soundbar is connected to TV abd not to Wiim)

Perhaps the Optical input on the soundbar works fine up to 96kHz.
If you change to 16bit/44.1kHz, does the sound remain the same?

If the problem persists, I recommend you to submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM home app. A log of the device will be sent with it to help resolve the issue.

Another option, if you have a "2 RCA to AUX" cable, is to connect the Line-out of the WiiM to the AUX input of the soundbar.

There's your problem. The soundbar or cable don't support 192kHz. Bluetooth will probably only be 48kHz max, as will be most online music sources, and is lossy so 96kHz over optical is your best option

Btw, which device is connected to the soundbar via Bluetooth?

Bluetooth is a mechanism for transmitting sound played by a device, so the EQ and sound mode of the device (and app) performing playback is directly reflected. Therefore, the sound may be noticeably different from the sound transmitted from the optical output of the WiiM.

And in the case of HDMI, the TV's sound mode and audio settings may be affected.

Let me see if I can explain because I'm a newby person.
The "volume limit" in the first image is the maximum volume setting. What is the actual volume?

In this image, the volume gauge is at 100%.
View attachment 7965

I looked in the soundbar manual and did not see a setting for the optical input. If you can change the soundbar volume, please try turning down the soundbar volume and then turning up the WiiM volume until it approaches 100%. (apologies if you have already tried that.)

Perhaps the Optical input on the soundbar works fine up to 96kHz.
If you change to 16bit/44.1kHz, does the sound remain the same?

If the problem persists, I recommend you to submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM home app. A log of the device will be sent with it to help resolve the issue.

Another option, if you have a "2 RCA to AUX" cable, is to connect the Line-out of the WiiM to the AUX input of the soundbar.
It's true that the volumen level in the actual app gear was set low, but I think I tried to increase while playing a music and I could hear louder but it wasn't nice ( it didn't improve the quality, only the loudness; while when doing that via BT it wasn't necessary to set so high volume to the soundbar).
I decided to drop the quality to 96 khz and 24 bits because using Tidal MQA max is 48 khz/24 bits.
Also, I tried several ways: 1)the basic way was input from phone Wifi on the Wiim app and output via optical and the sound loudness was suboptimal (necessary volume of soundbar 30 or more) vs output BT and it sounded perfect (volume has to drop to 13 in soundbar because before was too high). 2) TV TCL p635 connected with SPDIF IN> WIIM SPDIF OUT> speaker TCL Alto8i while playing from Tidal app from TV (result sound not impressive).3) Then I decided to use the normal way Tidal app on my TV connected via HDMI ARC to my soundbar (not using Wiim) and the result was impressive. So, comparing Wiim> BT> sounbar versus TV >HDMI >soundbar is very good for my ears, but while using TV>SPDIF IN >Wiim>SPDIF Out>Soundbar is terrible . So, I don't see the advantage of the optical connection. I don't know if that is the general experience.

Let me see if I can explain because I'm a newby person.

It's true that the volumen level in the actual app gear was set low, but I think I tried to increase while playing a music and I could hear louder but it wasn't nice ( it didn't improve the quality, only the loudness; while when doing that via BT it wasn't necessary to set so high volume to the soundbar).
I decided to drop the quality to 96 khz and 24 bits because using Tidal MQA max is 48 khz/24 bits.
Also, I tried several ways: 1)the basic way was input from phone Wifi on the Wiim app and output via optical and the sound loudness was suboptimal (necessary volume of soundbar 30 or more) vs output BT and it sounded perfect (volume has to drop to 13 in soundbar because before was too high). 2) TV TCL p635 connected with SPDIF IN> WIIM SPDIF OUT> speaker TCL Alto8i while playing from Tidal app from TV (result sound not impressive).3) Then I decided to use the normal way Tidal app on my TV connected via HDMI ARC to my soundbar (not using Wiim) and the result was impressive. So, comparing Wiim> BT> sounbar versus TV >HDMI >soundbar is very good for my ears, but while using TV>SPDIF IN >Wiim>SPDIF Out>Soundbar is terrible . So, I don't see the advantage of the optical connection. I don't know if that is the general experience.

From a technical (objective) standpoint, it is unlikely that the sound quality of WiiM's Bluetooth will surpass that of Toslink. But subjective sound quality is another story.

I am not sure if I understood your explanation, so let me check.

1. WiiM > Optical > Soundbar
  2. TV > Opt > WiiM > Opt > Soundbar
  3. TV > HDMI > Soundbar
  4. WiiM > Bluetooth > Soundbar
Results.
  1. perfect sound quality
  2. low sound quality
  3. impressive sound quality
  4. very good sound quality
Therefore, is only "2" a problem for you?

I think that when comparing sound quality, surround effects, sound mode, volume, etc. all need to be matched. But I don't know under what circumstances you compared them. Leaving that aside, if only "2" is the problem, it could be that there is a problem with the optical cable.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference in this case compared to 2.
5. TV > Opt > Soundbar

Also, if you have had no problems with the sound quality of "1", my suggestion would be to eliminate "2".
(Use HDMI to connect the TV to the soundbar and use optical cable to connect the WiiM to the soundbar. No connection between the TV and the WiiM.)

From a technical (objective) standpoint, it is unlikely that the sound quality of WiiM's Bluetooth will surpass that of Toslink. But subjective sound quality is another story.

I am not sure if I understood your explanation, so let me check.

1. WiiM > Optical > Soundbar
  2. TV > Opt > WiiM > Opt > Soundbar
  3. TV > HDMI > Soundbar
  4. WiiM > Bluetooth > Soundbar
Results.
  1. perfect sound quality
  2. low sound quality
  3. impressive sound quality
  4. very good sound quality
Therefore, is only "2" a problem for you?

I think that when comparing sound quality, surround effects, sound mode, volume, etc. all need to be matched. But I don't know under what circumstances you compared them. Leaving that aside, if only "2" is the problem, it could be that there is a problem with the optical cable.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference in this case compared to 2.
5. TV > Opt > Soundbar

Also, if you have had no problems with the sound quality of "1", my suggestion would be to eliminate "2".
(Use HDMI to connect the TV to the soundbar and use optical cable to connect the WiiM to the soundbar. No connection between the TV and the WiiM.)
Thank you for your answer. Most things you catched, but it's like this:
*Both 1 and 2 are low quality. Now after you told me to increase the volume gear of the Wiim app and to drop the volume of the Soundbar, then the problem is not the low volume but the quality. Now it sounds louder with optical, but the quality of the sound lacks fullness. I mean, the surrounding, the global impression is like more complete, more filled, when connecting via HDMI to Soundbar or BT, let's say, option 3 and 4 are the best for me). With optical is more clear, more refined, but it lacks like fullness (I don't know how to express the qualities of sound in technical ways, but with HDMI and BT is like eating a whole fat ice cream, while optical is like low fat diet yogurt...).
I also tried the output with RCA out from Wiim to Aux-In to the speaker, it sound good but not like HDMI.

*Both 1 and 2 are low quality. Now after you told me to increase the volume gear of the Wiim app and to drop the volume of the Soundbar, then the problem is not the low volume but the quality. Now it sounds louder with optical, but the quality of the sound lacks fullness. I mean, the surrounding, the global impression is like more complete, more filled, when connecting via HDMI to Soundbar or BT, let's say, option 3 and 4 are the best for me). With optical is more clear, more refined, but it lacks like fullness (I don't know how to express the qualities of sound in technical ways, but with HDMI and BT is like eating a whole fat ice cream, while optical is like low fat diet yogurt...).
I also tried the output with RCA out from Wiim to Aux-In to the speaker, it sound good but not like HDMI.
Understood.

From what you said, it seems to me that the difference the surround effect is relevant (or with / without) in my opinion.

Can you compare with surround turned off for all playback?

In any case, it is best to choose the connection method that sounds most favorable to you.

Thank you! Chat GTP told me that too...it seems that that piece of advice is a sound one. The best audio setting is the one which satisfy you the most. Maybe when I start trying with other speakers and AV receivers I will have a more curated taste. 🤗

I like your full fat ice cream vs low fat froyo analogy! 🤪

Back