"Play Here" option in Wiim Pro

I am a Volumio user and there is an option to play music in the device connected to the Volumio OS. Read this post here for further details: https://help.volumio.com/help/what-is-the-play-here-feature
I think this would be a nice option to have in Wiim Pro.
Hi,

Please tell me. What is the difference between this and the functionality that the WiiM home app has?

I honestly don't understand the difference...🤔
Thank you.

This feature allows you to play music on the device you are connected to the WiiM Pro app (say, your cellphone) instead of the speakers connected to the WiiM Pro device even when away from home.

This feature allows you to play music on the device you are connected to the WiiM Pro app (say, your cellphone) instead of the speakers connected to the WiiM Pro device even when away from home.

Taking a cue from your request, we are checking to see if we can do the same with WiiM's DLNA Cast.

Thanks. 🙂

“Even when away from home” opens up a hornet’s nest re firewalls etc if you’re talking about accessing home music shares etc. The other streaming services can already be accessed thru their apps and play to your phone anywhere, so I’m not sure what this additional functionality would bring that isn’t already provided by the host apps

“Even when away from home” opens up a hornet’s nest re firewalls etc if you’re talking about accessing home music shares etc. The other streaming services can already be accessed thru their apps and play to your phone anywhere, so I’m not sure what this additional functionality would bring that isn’t already provided by the host apps
I imagine he means local files.
There are a couple of easy ways to do this without opening up a hornets nest but they don't involve WiiM App.
1. Install Plex and point it at the same local files as Volumio uses. Allow remote access in Plex. Install PlexAmp on smart phone. PlexAmp is CarPlay enabled so this is a great method of playing your local files in the car. The stream is heavily compressed for bandwidth reasons but the audio isn't bad for in car use. Plays local files only.
2. Install LMS somewhere on your network. Install Tailscale and enable for Sub Net Routing. Install iPeng with player add on and Tailscale client on smart phone. Will play local files, and internet radio and streaming services if set up correctly. Not fully CarPlay enabled and needs manually configuring to resample down for bandwidth. Not as stable as PlexAmp.

Back