Question about output switching on Ultra

elshaddai

I currently have a JDS Labs Atom 2 DAC/HPA stack and a Buckeye power amp, with my PC as the source. Considering adding a WiiM Ultra as a primary preamp.

Thinking the signal flow would be a USB-to-Optical converter cable from the PC into the WiiM. RCA output to the power amp plus RCA sub out to use the Ultra's bass management. Optical output to the Atom 2 DAC for full-time headphone use (I know I could use the Ultra headphone jack, but I like the Atoms).

I really don't want to use a phone app as the primary control with the Ultra since it will be sitting on my desktop within reach. What is the on-device experience of using the knob control and screen to switch between RCA output and Optical output?

Does the sub and/or bass management have to be turned off/on separately from the output setting or is it linked to the RCA output? If the former, can those two configuration settings (RCA output/Sub on/Bass management on vs Optical output/Sub off/Bass management off) be saved as presets to switch between? If so, can the remote be used to switch presets?

If output switching on the Ultra is too cumbersome, I would probably just separate the Atoms from the Ultra completely and switch outputs on the PC.

tbh, I think you'll find output switching and the associated adjustments of sub / eq / volume/ whatever to be cumbersome.
They seem very much set up to have settings per input, not per output, possibly with the thought that you'll really only be using a single output / target.
I always found it a pain going from rca or digital out to my amp and speakers vs digital out to my headphone setup and having to change various settings each time.
Don't even get me started (again) on the volume issue with switching to the ultra headphone out. (Remember to disable fixed volume and turn it down first!)

tbh, I think you'll find output switching and the associated adjustments of sub / eq / volume/ whatever to be cumbersome.
They seem very much set up to have settings per input, not per output, possibly with the thought that you'll really only be using a single output / target.
I always found it a pain going from rca or digital out to my amp and speakers vs digital out to my headphone setup and having to change various settings each time.
Don't even get me started (again) on the volume issue with switching to the ultra headphone out. (Remember to disable fixed volume and turn it down first!)
That's too bad. Hopefully those types of interaction improvements are something they'll consider for a v2 release.

I'll have to think about whether it still represents good value as-is for a dedicated output scenario.

Back