Repairing broken mini optical port

zeke

In trying to install a fiber cable into my mini's optical port, the flap broke off, and as a result I can't get a solid connection (I can push a cable in and it works, but I wouldn't bank on the long term reliability). I gather this is common. Has anyone found a satisfactory way to either repair this port or make a reliable connection?

thanks

In trying to install a fiber cable into my mini's optical port, the flap broke off, and as a result I can't get a solid connection (I can push a cable in and it works, but I wouldn't bank on the long term reliability). I gather this is common. Has anyone found a satisfactory way to either repair this port or make a reliable connection?

thanks

Well the video looks promising, altho I'm not sure I understand why the credit card would work, unless it acts as a shim to shift the position of the cable just enough to fit. W/o trying the video technique I got 1 out of 2 cables to sort of click in, altho it was a weak feeling and sounding click. Definitely less secure feeling than the port and cable on the DAC I'm connecting the wiim to. BTW the grand total of such optical ports and cables I have experience with is now 2.

Anyway the wiim connection works for now and I'll try the method in the video if my wiim connection fails.

thanks for the responses.

Well the video looks promising, altho I'm not sure I understand why the credit card would work, unless it acts as a shim to shift the position of the cable just enough to fit. W/o trying the video technique I got 1 out of 2 cables to sort of click in, altho it was a weak feeling and sounding click. Definitely less secure feeling than the port and cable on the DAC I'm connecting the wiim to. BTW the grand total of such optical ports and cables I have experience with is now 2.

Anyway the wiim connection works for now and I'll try the method in the video if my wiim connection fails.

thanks for the responses.
Doesn't it click if you push it fully in?

I tried two cables. I couldn't get one to click in, and the other felt like it was sort of clicking in, but without a solid feel - however it is functional atm. I didn't want to mess around with it further for fear of additional damage. At this point I just want a working system. If it fails I'll try again.

Nope. As the OP said, it's a common problem. Happened to me in the first week I used my Mini. Works ok if you're careful not to disturb the cable, but I'm considering using some Superglue to attach the cable permanently.
Before you resort to superglue, try one of these mounting putty's
Loctite Fun-Tak Mounting Putty
UHU Tac PROPower
Gorilla Mounting Putty

fwiw Wiim tech support told me that "earlier" minis experienced this problem, and my damaged mini fits that description. I also tried my other, newer device and the port has not broken in brief testing. But I don't plan to exercise its port connection any more than necessary.:)

Back