Sound drops out regularly

duderuud

Have been using my Ultra for a couple of days now. Great device but I have a serious problem, the sounds regularly drops out.
It's like the mute button is being pressed for a couple of seconds.

It's a bit hard to replicate because sometimes the Ultra plays without any issues for an hour and sometimes it just drops a lot, like 4 or 5 times in one song.
Using Tidal Connect and TuneIn, both have the same problem.

Tried different Wifi SSID's, different DNS servers, IPv6 on/off but nothing seems to help.
On the latest firmware (although the previous firmware had the same problem): 5.2.627135

Only thing left to test is a wired connection but that takes some planning here...

Anyone with the same issue?

EDIT:
I sent a ticket this morning as the dropout occurred again.
Ticket:510814

I will now attempt a factory reset as this issue is only happening with a very small percentage of users.
----------------------------

Yes, I have the same problem as you now.

View attachment 1000006651.mp4

Have you tried these two?

• Unplug the power cable and plug it in a few minutes later
  • Re-pairing the remote

The first disconnection occurred after running RC many times. For some time now I have had no sound on Spotify connect after RC. But this is the first time today that I have had this kind of drop out.

I have the same problem with playback from Spotify, Amazon, and phone storage, and it appears to be an Ultra issue, as the problem does not occur with the WiiM amp.

I have tried rebooting several times, but each time I start up the symptoms get worse. I thought the remote was malfunctioning, so I re-paired it. I then unplugged the Ultra's power cable and turned it on a few minutes later.

And now it appears to have worked, with no drop out yet. I will have to wait and see for a while longer.

Last edited:
I have the same issue when we have internet connectivity issues, Is your signal good?

I've been posting about this very problem for the last couple days and have submitted a ticket. Sorry that others are facing the same issue but glad to see I'm not the only one.
Yes, I have the same problem as you now.

View attachment 10946

Have you tried these two?

• Unplug the power cable and plug it in a few minutes later
  • Re-pairing the remote

The first disconnection occurred after running RC many times. For some time now I have had no sound on Spotify connect after RC. But this is the first time today that I have had this kind of drop out.

I have the same problem with playback from Spotify, Amazon, and phone storage, and it appears to be an Ultra issue, as the problem does not occur with the WiiM amp.

I have tried rebooting several times, but each time I start up the symptoms get worse. I thought the remote was malfunctioning, so I re-paired it. I then unplugged the Ultra's power cable and turned it on a few minutes later.

And now it appears to have worked, with no drop out yet. I will have to wait and see for a while longer.
The only "fix" has been to completely disconnect everything and then plug back in. But overnight the problem returned. Definitely a bug with the new firmware.

Have been using my Ultra for a couple of days now. Great device but I have a serious problem, the sounds regularly drops out.

It's a bit hard to replicate because sometimes the Ultra plays without any issues for an hour and sometimes it just drops a lot, like 4 or 5 times in one song.

Tried different Wifi SSID's, different DNS servers, IPv6 on/off but nothing seems to help.
On the latest firmware (although the previous firmware had the same problem): 5.2.627135

Only thing left to test is a wired connection but that takes some planning here...

You mention Tidal Connect… so you are using a separate device (phone/tablet) to control audio apps casting to the Ultra, correct?

If you are casting, WiiM is working on implementing the new Google Cast and that causes (so far) drop-offs. I do not use Tidal but it surprises me that Tidal Connect also has drop-offs; is that related to the other problems @WiiM Support ?

Using tidal connect. Ultra is hardwired with Ethernet. No issues here. Wish I could help.

You probably living on urban where there’s a lot of AP and your router is set on auto channel. Log into your router manually set your 5ghz on dfs channel then run speed test twice. You should get the speed on what you’re paying on your isp.

My drops have nothing to do with Wi-Fi. It happens either when I have another component connected to Line In or using phono.

The only sensible way to find out why some are experiencing these issues while others are not is to send feedback through the WiiM Home App if you are suffering from it. Each and every single case.

There might be a common pattern and WiiM need data to be able to detect it.

There have been dropout problems in the very beginning and they had been fixed. Just because there are dropout problems again for some owners (with all kinds of inputs) doesn't mean that the cause is the same.

Got dropouts? Send feedback!

Last edited:

Hi Duderuud,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our team is actively working on resolving this issue. Once we have a fix, we will release a beta firmware update to address it.

This morning the drop occurred again, so after sending the ticket I tried rebooting the router and factory resetting the device.

At first there were no drops and everything was fine, but while I was re-setting up PEQ, the drops occurred again. I gave up using Ultra and now playing Spotify on my Yamaha AVR. nothing wrong with Spotify AVR.

Unfortunately, I have experienced a number of basic playback problems with Ultra. Hopefully the WiiM Team will resolve this issue soon.

Well at least you got a reply back.
You’ll only get a reply back from a ticket if the wiim team need more info from you - it’s taken as read that if you don’t get a reply, your device logs had enough info for them to identify the issue and they’re aware of it and are working on it.

Last edited:
Ended up being notified that they’ve added my Ultra to the “White List” and I can revert back to the previous firmware. I’ll do that later today and hopefully that makes the Ultra useful again.

Previous firmware(5.2.626448) successfully reinstalled this morning and so far so good.

Will continue to keep fingers crossed.

Unfortunately just experienced a couple of drop outs while using PHONO. Line in was fine. I've have followed up on my ticket.

You probably living on urban where there’s a lot of AP and your router is set on auto channel. Log into your router manually set your 5ghz on dfs channel then run speed test twice. You should get the speed on what you’re paying on your isp.
Well, I cannot rule that out but I don't think that's the problem. I have quite an advanced Wifi setup with 5 AP's in total and a 1Gbit fiber connection.
Wifi speed is not an issue here :)

Just got a firmware update, testing that now.

Edit: Same problem, TuneIn just cut out for a second or two. Firmware 5.2.627753

Last edited:
Back