Speaker volume with ROON

Pcryan5

Major Contributor
Hi Folks

Quick question - I hope - i want to control my speakers with Roon. Do I set my audio output on my WIIM Pro to fixed?
Thanks!
~P

WiiM Pro - Ethernet in - optical out to speakers

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

I use volume controls on everything so I can make changes from any device that is handy - the WiiM, roon, and even my active speakers remote!!

I'm sure that might annoy some of the bitperfect obsessed people, but hey it works for me!

Hi Folks

Quick question - I hope - i want to control my speakers with Roon. Do I set my audio output on my WIIM Pro to fixed?
Thanks!
~P

WiiM Pro - Ethernet in - optical out to speakers
For purposes of signal purity, it would be best to keep the digital domain at 100% fixed, and do any volume and equalization manipulation in the downstream analog domain. But if your active speakers don't have user-friendly controls, you'll have a decision to make.

For purposes of signal purity, it would be best to keep the digital domain at 100% fixed, and do any volume and equalization manipulation in the downstream analog domain. But if your active speakers don't have user-friendly controls, you'll have a decision to make.
My path is Roon Nucleus -> WIIM -> active speakers. I can control volume at any step. Based on your note leaving WIIM at 100% and using ROON app would make best sense? Thanks for lending the brain cycles - appreciated.

My path is Roon Nucleus -> WIIM -> active speakers. I can control volume at any step. Based on your note leaving WIIM at 100% and using ROON app would make best sense? Thanks for lending the brain cycles - appreciated.
Assuming your speakers have at least manual volume control, try out all 3 options and see what, on balance, sounds and works best for you. I'm kind of a purist so I would use the speakers, but if you're doing stuff like DSP, I think Roon is probably your best bet (although WiiM has been pretty aggressive about sound shaping, I suspect Roon's toolset is probably still preferable for that).

Assuming your speakers have at least manual volume control, try out all 3 options and see what, on balance, sounds and works best for you. I'm kind of a purist so I would use the speakers, but if you're doing stuff like DSP, I think Roon is probably your best bet (although WiiM has been pretty aggressive about sound shaping, I suspect Roon's toolset is probably still preferable for that).
Thanks mate!

Back