Streaming giant TIDAL cuts 40 jobs, source confirms

You are full of baseless conspiracy theories.
Among other things, I'm basing my thoughts on the items @Brantome quoted at the head of this thread:

The layoffs come as the US company shifts its primary focus away from music
One anonymous source close to TIDAL told RA that this shows the company is making a clear shift from "being music-centric to product-centric–pushing tech initiatives instead of anything related to music, labels, distributors or artists."

Unless Tidal comes out and makes a public statement to the effect that all this talk about deprecating their music streaming business is nothing but caca de vaca, those layoffs are shouting out their apparent intentions to the world. Believe me, Jack Dorsey didn't acquire Tidal because he's a just a nice guy (he's brilliant, but nice guy I'm less sure), or because he relished running an unprofitable and rather uncompetitive music streaming business.

Last edited:
I did not refer to audible differences, thats up to everyone. What I mentioned is the technical nonsense that they already have "a third" of their content in CD quality. Even "as known facts" and from one "for decades in the industry" it is simply bla bla
How would you know?

One reason I've stayed with Tidal is that their interface is clean and easy to navigate (across various streamers. Spotify is awful on Sonos). I like the simple 4 item choice of Playlists- Artists-Albums-Tracks they give for my account. All the chatter, about hi this and Supremium that, makes no difference to me as my hearing is shot, anyway.

Carry on!

I supply spotify with audio files....
Well given that I understand Spotify’s technical requirements state that your track must be a .wav file of at least 16bit and a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, you’re probably not alone in that. But even if that means that a “third of their catalog” contains such, it’s rather moot if they’re not delivering that thru their current service.

Getting back to Tidal...if I were a Tidal subscriber, I'd begin using Soundiiz or somesuch to save my playlists, library, loved albums/tracks, etc. on a daily basis.
Thanks for the heads up. But why? If the worst happens, I’ll just move to another provider. I’m only with Tidal right now as it’s the cheapest of those with decent sound quality.

Reactions: DRC
Thanks for the heads up. But why? If the worst happens, I’ll just move to another provider. I’m only with Tidal right now as it’s the cheapest of those with decent sound quality.
So that you can copy all those favourites to the new provider.

So that you can copy all those favourites to the new provider.
No need. I only ever listen to complete albums in the recorded running order. Never playlists etc. So moving to a new provider is absolutely no issue whatsoever. Thanks

Reactions: DRC
It’s not just tidal, Spotify as well. In these competitive world of streaming, they need to think outside streaming services to push more revenue such as produce a streaming devices, smart speakers and anything that can be attach that’s related to music. When you buy a printer you want to make sure that you attach ink, paper and usb cable to maximize profit margin, just saying.

Back