Sub connection placement

Hawk54

Trying to figure out how to hook up my WiiM ultra to my Yamaha rx 1030 av receiver to utilize subwoofer control . Planning on hooking the rca connections from the WiiM to the multi channel inputs on my receiver. As far as the sub connection , does that go from the sub out connection on the WiiM to the sub in on the multichannel input on the receiver and do I use a sub cable for this connection?

Trying to figure out how to hook up my WiiM ultra to my Yamaha rx 1030 av receiver to utilize subwoofer control . Planning on hooking the rca connections from the WiiM to the multi channel inputs on my receiver. As far as the sub connection , does that go from the sub out connection on the WiiM to the sub in on the multichannel input on the receiver and do I use a sub cable for this connection?
Just use the Yamaha as amp to power your speaker and ultra will be your streamer/preamp/dac. The sub still connect to ultra.

My Yamaha AVR does not have a multichannel input, so I have not tested that, but if it works properly then I think that connection method is fine.

You can use a 1RCA to 1RCA cable (subwoofer cable) to connect the WiiM sub-out to the AVR sub-in. Then connect Line-out to Front-in.

If you understand that there are several ways to connect, no problem, but it is quite normal to connect in the way @Smartplug described.

The connection method would depend on the number of channels in your speakers and how you plan to use your system.

Example.
If you connect a subwoofer to the sub-out on the Ultra, you cannot use the subwoofer with any source other than the Ultra connected to the AVR. For example, if you are connecting a TV to the AVR. (Exceptionally, there is still a way to connect both AVR and Ultra sub outs to the subwoofer.)

If you connect the audio output of the Ultra to the multi-audio input of the AVR, the AVR is limited to 2.1 channel playback and you may not be able to use the AVR's DSP features. If you have these figured out, no problem, but if not, please check the manual.

Just use digital out from the wiim into your Yamaha, and connect the subwoofer to the Yamaha. Set full volume output from the wiim, yamaha controls master volume

Follow your Yamaha AVR instructions.

No need to connect sub to wiim, and in fact will complicate matters.

Or use analogue out from the Wiim Ultra, then use "pure direct" mode on your Yamaha, but this means L/R are full range, subwoofer will be off.

yeah , part of the reason I got the ultra was because of it’s sub out connection. Wanted more control for bass management . I have an Apple TV hooked to the avr and don’t want to lose the sub for streaming movies/ shows, so I can’t hook the WiiM directly to my sub ( Svs pb2000). Also wanted to see if I could bypass the avrs dac and purely hear the dac from the WiiM ultra. Only way it seems like was to use the multi channel inputs. According to Yamaha manual there would be no tone control or dsp processing. Just playing around with options to see what sounds the best. Thanks for the replies.

yeah , part of the reason I got the ultra was because of it’s sub out connection. Wanted more control for bass management . I have an Apple TV hooked to the avr and don’t want to lose the sub for streaming movies/ shows, so I can’t hook the WiiM directly to my sub ( Svs pb2000). Also wanted to see if I could bypass the avrs dac and purely hear the dac from the WiiM ultra. Only way it seems like was to use the multi channel inputs. According to Yamaha manual there would be no tone control or dsp processing. Just playing around with options to see what sounds the best. Thanks for the replies.
Like what @Wiimer from Japan said there’s a multiple way to do it. You want sub from ultra? Check. You want the dac from ultra? Check. What I stated before you is what you need. To avoid dsp from Yamaha use “main in” with this setup you get what you want bass management from ultra as well as dac from ultra.

Since the Ultra's sub-outs are not full range, using the AVR's multichannel inputs could cause problems; the Ultra's sub-outs are low-passed at the crossover frequency, and I believe are further low-passed at the AVR. Likewise, the main outputs on Ultra would be highpassed. Also, even if the AVR's multichannel inputs can bypass the DSP, I don't know if they can bypass the DAC. (Probably not.)

If you are using the AVR as a surround amp (or pre-main amp), I would just connect the Ultra's audio out to the AVR's audio in. Leave the subwoofer connected to the AVR as is. In this case, however, there is little advantage to using Ultra. If you do not need a display, you can substitute Pro+, Pro, or Mini.

If you want to use the AVR as a power amplifier, connect all devices to the Ultra and connect only the Ultra's audio output to the AVR. This allows you to use the WiiM PEQ for all sources. At the same time, you can use the AVR's sound field correction.
In this case, you may need to adjust the audio delay on one of the devices.

Please figure out what works best for you. 🙂

Since the Ultra's sub-outs are not full range, using the AVR's multichannel inputs could cause problems; the Ultra's sub-outs are low-passed at the crossover frequency, and I believe are further low-passed at the AVR. Likewise, the main outputs on Ultra would be highpassed. Also, even if the AVR's multichannel inputs can bypass the DSP, I don't know if they can bypass the DAC. (Probably not.)

If you are using the AVR as a surround amp (or pre-main amp), I would just connect the Ultra's audio out to the AVR's audio in. Leave the subwoofer connected to the AVR as is. In this case, however, there is little advantage to using Ultra. If you do not need a display, you can substitute Pro+, Pro, or Mini.

If you want to use the AVR as a power amplifier, connect all devices to the Ultra and connect only the Ultra's audio output to the AVR. This allows you to use the WiiM PEQ for all sources. At the same time, you can use the AVR's sound field correction.
In this case, you may need to adjust the audio delay on one of the devices.

Please figure out what works best for you. 🙂
Yamaha dsp simulate many acoustic.

As Gene DellaSala would say, have you tried the German bathtub setting? 😂

I leave everything to the Surround AI. It's not that bad! 🤣
I still have Yamaha rxv1 which used to be flagship tour de force at time. It got 30 plus dsp. It has 6 concert hall including from measured in Europe. The display shows “concert hall in Europe” it got jazz, church rock dsp. In certain music you get goosebumps as it take your music into 3d landscape. The front effect is the key.

I still have Yamaha rxv1 which used to be flagship tour de force at time. It got 30 plus dsp. It has 6 concert hall including from measured in Europe. The display shows “concert hall in Europe” it got jazz, church rock dsp. In certain music you get goosebumps as it take your music into 3d landscape. The front effect is the key.
Yeah, the concert hall DSP is still in place. When it works, it is very powerful, but I am tired of it. 😅 Opinions seem to be divided on the surround AI, but I like its natural sound field effect. 😄

Yamaha DSP is lousy, it's just a echo mess chamber. I have a Yamaha AVR. They're horrid.
I would recommend DTS Neo, DPL IIx Music/Film, DTS X, or Dolby Surround for the off shelf DSP

Better than those is Lexicon's Logic 7, Music Surround. It's one of best expansion DSP I've used

Yeah, the concert hall DSP is still in place. When it works, it is very powerful, but I am tired of it. 😅 Opinions seem to be divided on the surround AI, but I like its natural sound field effect. 😄
I have yet to hear German bathroom dsp. 😆 Indeed, those echo can be tiring in long term making sound gimmick.

Yamaha DSP is lousy, it's just a echo mess chamber. I have a Yamaha AVR. They're horrid.
I would recommend DTS Neo, DPL IIx Music/Film, DTS X, or Dolby Surround for the off shelf DSP

Better than those is Lexicon's Logic 7, Music Surround. It's one of best expansion DSP I've used
Their cinema dsp especially the spectacle was my favorite. Even their latest AV has plethora of dsp.

Their cinema dsp especially the spectacle was my favorite. Even their latest AV has plethora of dsp.

And all echo chamber complete mess. I think the new models allow you disable all those when you cycle through the modes?

And all echo chamber complete mess. I think the new models allow you disable all those when you cycle through the modes?
Yes, I have much newer Yamaha RXV6A. It has pure direct and straight. The difference between the two pure direct bypass everything including front panel display and run speaker full range. Straight allow you to use sub without dsp concert hall.

With the right tuning and setting especially the type of music it could enhanced music. If you listen to rock concert and put it on concert hall it sound bad but if you listen to classical in concert hall it can make an impact on sound that you want to have it on than off.

Well the cinema DSP echo can bereduce by adjusting parameters..

As @Smartplug said, you can output Dolby or DTS directly in straight decode mode if you don't want to use DSP. I am multiplying this by AI.

The reason I like the Yamaha AVR is the abundance of features and ease of use. "Scene button" is a must for me. 😄

Back