Subwoofers - LFE only, or?

Sindbera

I just upgraded from my Pro Plus to the Ultra, specifically in order to add a subwoofer to my setup.

However it just dawned on me, that most of the subs I am looking at, does not have LFE - but instead stereo inputs. I see that there are some y-splitters I could get, but I am not sure if this is a less that ideal - or straight up bad approcah?

Some of those I've looked at are: Mackie CR8S-X, ESI Aktiv 10S and KRK S8G4 - so not anything fancy. But if LFE is a must, I'll look at alternatives. Suggestions are in that case welcome - I'm situated in the EU.

Cheers!

With most subs you can connect to one of the LFE channel inputs which is normally marked. The output from the Ultra is a mono mix of both L and R channels.

With most subs you can connect to one of the LFE channel inputs which is normally marked. The output from the Ultra is a mono mix of both L and R channels.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.

One those 3 examples I mentioned, none of them makes a mention of LFE as an option. So I reckon I'll reach out to the dealer, and ask if LFE is viable.

Subs are a very new concept to me - and they do indeed come in many shapes and functionalities. Some even have their own apps, which I guess is of no need, if using the bass management and room correction in the Ultra?

Last edited:
Thanks for the the time to reply, appreciate it.

One those 3 examples I mentioned, none of them makes a mention of LFE as an option. So I reckon I'll reach out to the dealer, and ask if LFE is viable.

Subs are a very new concept to me - and they do indeed come in many shapes and functionalities. Some even have their own apps, which I guess is of no need, if using the bass management and room correction in the Ultra?
No problem. Just to clarify, the LFE channel (Low Frequency Effects) is a dedicated output from Multi-channel Home Theatre amplifiers which is always a single output. With a normal stereo system you are simply extracting the bass upto the specified crossover frequency eg. 80Hz.

No problem. Just to clarify, the LFE channel (Low Frequency Effects) is a dedicated output from Multi-channel Home Theatre amplifiers which is always a single output. With a normal stereo system you are simply extracting the bass upto the specified crossover frequency eg. 80Hz.
PS also check the available inputs are RCA. The Ultra does not have Balanced or TRS outputs as far as I'm aware.
Thanks for the additional clarification on this matter - that is very helpful indeed.

I wish you an excellent day.

I recommend Kali WS-6.2. https://www.kaliaudio.com/watts-ws62 It has 3 modes - 80Hz crossover, LFE, and external crossover. For device like Ultra, external crossover mode is recommended according to Kali's. It has RCA inputs in addition to combo XLR/TRC inputs. It also outputs to main with 80Hz low cut applied if 80Hz mode is used.

I recommend Kali WS-6.2. https://www.kaliaudio.com/watts-ws62 It has 3 modes - 80Hz crossover, LFE, and external crossover. For device like Ultra, external crossover mode is recommended according to Kali's. It has RCA inputs in addition to combo XLR/TRC inputs. It also outputs to main with 80Hz low cut applied if 80Hz mode is used.
Thanks for the recommendation - reading up on it, it sounds like a very capeable sub. The price around here, is a fair jump up. But it will surely be on the top of my list, if I end up in this price range.

Back