Suggestions for good powered speaker similar in size to IKEA Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker?

jjue1979

Does anyone know of a speaker that has similar sound and size to an IKEA Symfonisk speaker and also has a Line Input to accept a WiiM Mini signal? I’m slowly replacing my Sonos stuff due to the May software release debacle that left my 7-room system completely useless for a period of time, even input from TV to soundbars. Sure, I can continue to use it for AirPlay, although I’m leaning towards WiiM Mini and a powered speaker to do more with the WiiM App interface. Unless the DLNA Beta ends being available to the public, the removal of AirPlay output from the WiiM Amps that I already purchased put a damper on replacing my Sonos system for inputs that I may want to stream, such as my turntable and TVs.

Something that I’ve been looking at and not opposed to is getting Gen 1 Play:5s on Sonos S1 just to setup the volume, firewall off, and then use a WiiM Mini to play audio. My goal is just see what other options that I have.

These Edifier speakers are LinkPlay powered, so will be found by the WiiM app (once configured with the Edifier app), so no WiiM Mini required. They won't support room correction or EQ, but can be stereo paired. They are sometimes on sale for around $89; Prime Day is coming soon...

i got the orange amps bluetooth speaker which also has 3.5mm input. unimaginably called the orange BOX. real impressive sound for a portable box. i use it all around the house for background music.

they also have a BOX-L larger version without a built-in battery + they just released a whole 2-speaker active stereo called the pyramid too.

These Edifier speakers are LinkPlay powered, so will be found by the WiiM app (once configured with the Edifier app), so no WiiM Mini required. They won't support room correction or EQ, but can be stereo paired. They are sometimes on sale for around $89; Prime Day is coming soon...

Detectable by WiiM (after configuration) and also supports AirPlay 2 is actually more along the lines of what I’m looking for! I was just thinking that I would have to a WiiM Mini since WiiM doesn’t have their own speakers yet, but this is a better solution for sure.

Detectable by WiiM (after configuration) and also supports AirPlay 2 is actually more along the lines of what I’m looking for! I was just thinking that I would have to a WiiM Mini since WiiM doesn’t have their own speakers yet, but this is a better solution for sure.
The Audio Pro lineup also has LinkPlay guts, IIRC. Disadvantage of both is lack of support for WiiM features like Room Correction and EQ, unfortunately. Hopefully WiiM's next product will be a speaker (Edifier is an investor, so they have a head start). The Edifier MS50 also converts the digital stream to 48Khz, not that it will make a discernible difference on such a small speaker (or pretty much any speaker).

Last edited:
There was another post recently asking whether other Linklay products interoperate well with the WiiM app and ecosystem

I don't have any personal experience but did find a CAM review of the audio cast M50 which he states didn't work in with the WiiM app even though it was detected.

My preference would be WiiM solution, amp + speakers, or mini/pro/plus/ultra and active speakers.
At least until WiiM release a speaker.

Last edited:
Good to know that the edifier works.

It seems that YMMV with other Linkplay devices, not to mention future compatibility with respect to updates

Last edited:
Back