Trouble with airplay output to OG Homepod

mrgsteele

Hi everyone,

I recently got the WiiM Amp and I use the AirPlay out function so I can play records to speakers connected to my apple tvs, my homepod minis and my OG homepod.

Every device outputs fine first time every time, except the OG Homepod. It works occasionally, but more often than not it says its working but no sound comes out of it, and no lights show on top of it - it's not actually outputting there.

Often I'll select the OG Homepod as the output AirPlay device and the Wiim Amp won't hold that setting. For example, if I leave the menu it'll often say I haven't chosen an output, or if I refresh it'll deselect it. Sometimes it'll even ask for a password when that toggle isn't even set to be on in the Home app.

I've tried factory resetting it a couple of times and rebooting the WiiM Amp. I've tried talking to Siri to wake it up first. I've tried AirPlaying from Apple Music to it to wake it up first. I've tried removing the Wiim Amp from the Home app and re-adding it. I've tried adding a password to get around the password popup. None of them seem to remedy the situation permanently, and the password thing doesn't work in any case.

The weird thing is, I could try again half a day later and music will start outputting to it! But then I'll try a few hours later and it won't work again.

Things to note:
  • It's set up as a separate device (i.e. not tied to an apple tv)
  • It's on the same network as all my other devices
  • The Home app is set to share speakers and TV with "anyone on the same network", and no password is required
  • The Wiim Amp and the OG Homepod are in the same room. There is a wifi satellite in that room.
If it's airplaying out perfectly to everything but the OG Homepod, to me that tells me there's something wrong with it and I'm starting to think that because it's an older device the handshake isn't working between the devices as fast or consistently as the newer devices. I have no idea though.

If anybody has some advice on what to try next, please let me know. I'm wondering if this is a bug I should log with Wiim.

Yeah, definitely raise a ticket to WiiM when it next happens so they can inspect your device logs for clues

Back