Type of audio-input and output must match?

cehrshark

I have some doubts about if input abd output must match, let's say: I connect my TV optical-out to Wiim pro plus optical-in, then optical-out to my speaker TCL Alto8i. But is ot possible instead to connect my TV to Wiim via Bluetooth (Audio In) and Wiim to my speaker via optical-out? Or optical must match optical? Because anyway when connecting my TV everything optical, the LED in Wiim is red, meaning that there is no network, or there is an error, or just the Wiim is bypassing the optical signal from the TV to the speaker?

I have some doubts about if input abd output must match, let's say: I connect my TV optical-out to Wiim pro plus optical-in, then optical-out to my speaker TCL Alto8i. But is ot possible instead to connect my TV to Wiim via Bluetooth (Audio In) and Wiim to my speaker via optical-out? Or optical must match optical? Because anyway when connecting my TV everything optical, the LED in Wiim is red, meaning that there is no network, or there is an error, or just the Wiim is bypassing the optical signal from the TV to the speaker?

First, make sure you have not confused Optical in with Optical out.
(Please disconnect all cables and try plugging them back in again. )

Input doesn’t need to match output. Do you not hear any audio?
When I connect TV>Wiim>Speaker via optical I hear audio, but the Wiim LED is red or purple, telling me according to the user manual that network is not in use or there is an error. Then I understand that the DAC of the Wiim is playing no purpose in this case, and not moderating or improving the quality of the TV audio, and for such reason, it would be better if I connect my TV directly to the speaker via optical skipping the Wiim. That is what I would conclude, unless I'm wrong. Please, enlighten me.

When I connect TV>Wiim>Speaker via optical I hear audio, but the Wiim LED is red or purple, telling me according to the user manual that network is not in use or there is an error. Then I understand that the DAC of the Wiim is playing no purpose in this case, and not moderating or improving the quality of the TV audio, and for such reason, it would be better if I connect my TV directly to the speaker via optical skipping the Wiim. That is what I would conclude, unless I'm wrong. Please, enlighten me.
That perception is incorrect.
Please submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM app. A log of your device will be sent with it to help resolve the issue.

You can also try these troubleshooting tips.

Reboot the WiiM device
Reboot the router
Factory reset the WiiM device

Then I understand that the DAC of the Wiim is playing no purpose in this case, and not moderating or improving the quality of the TV audio, and for such reason,

When using the optical output of the WiiM, the WiiM's internal DAC is not used; the DAC is used to convert the signal from digital to analog at the Line output.

Edit;
You seem to be confusing DAC with DSP; EQ and other adjustments are valid for optical output as well.

it would be better if I connect my TV directly to the speaker via optical skipping the Wiim. That is what I would conclude, unless I'm wrong. Please, enlighten me.
As you say, sometimes it is better that way.

When using the optical output of the WiiM, the WiiM's internal DAC is not used; the DAC is used to convert the signal from digital to analog at the Line output.

Edit;
You seem to be confusing DAC with DSP; EQ and other adjustments are valid for optical output as well.

As you say, sometimes it is better that way.
Ok, now I'm getting crazy, because just now I was watching a YouTube video and somebody commented the same, that when you use optical output you are not using the advantage functionality of the internal DAC of the Wiim pro plus, and you must use analogical output (RCA?). So then, what is the advantage of using the Wiim? Why then when I use Tidal connect via audio in wifi and output wiim optical I get a good audio quality? It's because what you said DSP is having a role in that? Can you please explain, and sorry I'm ignorant on this matter.

That perception is incorrect.
Please submit a support ticket through the feedback section of the WiiM app. A log of your device will be sent with it to help resolve the issue.

You can also try these troubleshooting tips.

Reboot the WiiM device
Reboot the router
Factory reset the WiiM device
17191760139726700358357960317641.jpg
Is it not normal to get that LED red or purple when I'm using my TV and speaker with optical in and out and the Wiim in between? I'm listening good audio, only that I'm not sure if the wiim is playing a role in this case, or just a pass-through. I don't have problem with that as long as I'm having audio, but I just want to be sure that that is normal and I'm not missing something better due to a mistake.

Let's start at the beginning. Why did you buy the WiiM Pro Plus in the first place? It's main use is that of a streamer that happens to have a good quality DAC (in case you don't already own an even better one) and extended sound controls, including (as of recently) room correction. The latter works irrespective of if you are using the analog output (using the WiiM's DAC) or one of the digital outputs (using the receiving devices DAC).

A DAC is not inserted into an audio chain to improve anything. Digital audio signals must be converted to analog before a speaker can reproduce the sound. DAC and DSP are totally different things, as @Wiimer already pointed out.

The TCL Alto 8I is a rather low price soundbar featuring its own DAC. With respect to the price its in-built DAC is probably inferior to that of the WiiM Pro Plus, but it's questionable if there's a difference to be heard.

If you just want to listen to TV sound through your TCP Alto 8I there's probably no point in adding any device in between.

If on the other hand you want to listen to music from streaming service or a NAS in your network, the the WiiM is probably superior to your TV. If you want to use fine grained EQ to tailor the sound to your needs, then the Pro Plus is a good choice. You can pick any combination of input and output settings, as long as you have a matching device connected to each input and output.

The limiting factor regarding sound quality will be this soundbar.

Last edited:
Let's start at the beginning. Why did you buy the WiiM Pro Plus in the first place? It's main use is that of a streamer that happens to have a good quality DAC (in case you don't already own an even better one) and extended sound controls, including(as of recently ) room correction. The latter works irrespective of if you are using the analog output (using the WiiM's DAC) or one of the digital outputs (using the receiving devices DAC).

A DAC is not inserted into an audio chain to improve anything. Digital audio signals must be converted to analog before a speaker can reproduce the sound. DAC and DSP are totally different things, as @Wiimer already pointed out.

The TCL Alto 8I is a rather low price soundbar featuring its own DAC. With respect to the price its in-built DAC is probably inferior to that of the WiiM Pro Plus, but it's questionable if there's a difference to be heard.

If you just want to listen to TV sound through your TCP Alto 8I there's probably no point in adding any device in between.

If on the other hand you want to listen to music from streaming service or a NAS in your network, the the WiiM is probably superior to your TV. If you want to use dime grained EQ to tailor the sound to your needs, then the Pro Plus is a good choice. You can pick any combination of input and output settings, as long as you have a matching device connected to each input and output.

The limiting factor regardingbsound quality will be this soundbar.
Thank you for your clear explanation! I know the soundbar is a low budget one and for an introductory experience sounds good for me, and I'm aware that I can get more out of the WiiM pro plus in the future depending on the speakers I choose.

One point to mention here, is that people use to say that Wiim will improve, not only the quality of the audio streaming, but also that you can connect to your TV to enhance the audio quality. That's why I was trying to test, but I see that is a misleading recommendation, and that Wiim Pro plus will work better when using for streaming audio not from the TV but from streaming services (by the way, I was comparing Tidal on my TV versus Tidal connect on my phone)

View attachment 8319
Is it not normal to get that LED red or purple when I'm using my TV and speaker with optical in and out and the Wiim in between? I'm listening good audio, only that I'm not sure if the wiim is playing a role in this case, or just a pass-through. I don't have problem with that as long as I'm having audio, but I just want to be sure that that is normal and I'm not missing something better due to a mistake.

Sorry, since you first mentioned the red LED, I misinterpreted it as indicating some error.

The LEDs on the WiiM change to different colors for each input.

Optical input = orange
Ethernet (Wi-Fi) = white
Bluetooth = Green

If the LED color changes like this when you switch inputs, that is normal. Nothing is wrong. 🙂

One point to mention here, is that people use to say that Wiim will improve, not only the quality of the audio streaming, but also that you can connect to your TV to enhance the audio quality. That's why I was trying to test, but I see that is a misleading recommendation, and that Wiim Pro plus will work better when using for streaming audio not from the TV but from streaming services (by the way, I was comparing Tidal on my TV versus Tidal connect on my phone)

You seem to have misunderstood a bit on that as well.

My interpretation is that the sound quality will be better with the addition of the WiiM and (passive) speakers than with the TV's built-in speakers.

Further, the sound quality may now be limited by the soundbar. As you have already detected, changing to audio speakers of better quality than the soundbar may result in a richer sound quality. (Pretty much depends on what kind of speakers you choose.)

However, it should be noted that WiiM does not support surround sound. If your soundbar supports surround sound (including pseudo), the impression of the sound you hear could be very different. It is hard to say which will be your preference.

Back