Ultra vs Pro Plus

TSHRED

I have both.

I bought the Ultra with the idea of using the sub out but I didn't think it through very well since I run at "fixed volume" and control volume through my preamp analog control.

Frankly I have not noticed a sound difference between the Ultra and the Pro Plus.

If I strain I could probably say that the spoken word is a little more defined when watching movies and maybe the mid to high clarity is better and more detailed with the Ultra but I'm not sure.

I'm considering returning the Ultra and going back to the Pro Plus. I have another line out on my preamp that I could use for the sub.

What do you think?

Would I be making a mistake by sending it back and staying with the Pro Plus?

I have both.

I bought the Ultra with the idea of using the sub out but I didn't think it through very well since I run at "fixed volume" and control volume through my preamp analog control.

Frankly I have not noticed a sound difference between the Ultra and the Pro Plus.

If I strain I could probably say that the spoken word is a little more defined when watching movies and maybe the mid to high clarity is better and more detailed with the Ultra but I'm not sure.

I'm considering returning the Ultra and going back to the Pro Plus. I have another line out on my preamp that I could use for the sub.

What do you think?

Have you tried using the Ultra as a preamp and using the sub out?

The pro plus doesn't have sub out and bass management though.
Yes I realize that and that was the attraction to the Ultra.

The problem arises when you are running these units at "fixed volume" and controlling the overall volume externally like with a preamp.

The sub out remains at a fixed volume also which is impossible to balance when using an external volume control.

The problem arises when you are running these units at "fixed volume" and controlling the overall volume externally like with a preamp.

The sub out remains at a fixed volume also which is impossible to balance when using an external volume control.
That's why I asked if you had actually tried using the Ultra as a preamp so you could use the sub out. While you have it you might as well try it.

Can your preamp high-pass the main speakers? Or just output full range?

If the latter, you may hear a big difference with the Ultra's high-pass. At least for me, Ultra's crossover is a very effective feature.

That's why I asked if you had actually tried using the Ultra as a preamp so you could use the sub out. While you have it you might as well try it.
I understand that.

What I'm saying is the sub out on the Ultra, functionally, does me no good because I'm using an external volume control

Can your preamp high-pass the main speakers? Or just output full range?

If the latter, you may hear a big difference with the Ultra's high-pass. At least for me, Ultra's crossover is a very effective feature.
Full range.

I may give it a try but I've always found digital volume control to be less than analog volume control, sound wise.
I have a similar setup and tried both ways of controlling volume with no noticeable difference so definitely worth comparing. I have a Pro+ feeding an Audiolab 7000A with a sub connected to the preouts of the amp. The bass management of the Ultra may be even better with the HPF for the mains.

Edit: the advantage with connecting the sub to the amp is either volume control works

For the utmost digital audio quality to a top notch external DAC… the Ultra has a USB out. Major improvement. And yes, not everyone will notice a difference, either because their DAC does not justify that or they can’t hear.

How could it be otherwise? I've watched all your threads and it's not clear to me why you thought it could be different. How should your preamp control the volume of the sub output on the Ultra? That lacks any logic.

For the utmost digital audio quality to a top notch external DAC… the Ultra has a USB out. Major improvement. And yes, not everyone will notice a difference, either because their DAC does not justify that or they can’t hear.

Or because it‘s simply psycho acoustic… and it is indeed difficult to hear!

I have no Ultra heard. However, i compared the Pro+ to various excellent DACs including my 1000+ € Metrum Nos Dac, that is MAYBE - maybe - slighly better…
Anyway, I do not use it anymore…

I have both.

What do you think?

Personally I find PRO+ excellent. I would clearly emphasize - incuding the DAC!
In my case, I do not need Sub management. Or in other words, I do not find it essential or even critical. Vice versa. I did the following:
1. I increased the amplification of the sub
2. I set the crossover frequency from 45 Hz to around 75 Hz.
3. I runned RC from 20Hz to 600Hz (in my case) - with the beautiful effect that
4. RC corrects the overlapping and over amplified range of 50-70Hz - which means lowering the it where my modes are anyway. This was anticipated but it also results in a much better soundstage, as my small florstanders are relieved a bit from the bass burden and can perform even better above it! I like it! 👍🏻😃

Yes, timing could still be improved, but I am a pragmatic person… 😇

Last edited:
tbh, from your use case and responses it seems to me that you already know what you want to do.
And I mean that nicely - when what we already have does just what we want / need, and an alternaive is no better, why change it?

Back