Using the Ultra's USB input for 5TB hard drive and DSD/DSF files

Bill Mac

I'm very interested in the Ultra specifically to utilize the USB input for a Western Digital 5TB hard drive. I have a mix of FLAC and DSD/DSF files (SACD rips). My question would be of the Ultra's ability to play DSD/DSF files from a hard drive. Is it possible or do the DSD/DSF files have to be converted to FLAC in order for the Ultra to play them?

Also are there any screen shots of the WiiM app and how it appears when playing files from an attached USB hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above questions.

Your 5T drive of songs makes my 179 songs on a thumb drive seem a little silly. There are a few threads talking about using the USB input of the Ultra to play music files on an external drive. In fact, below where I am entering this post, a list of similar threads shows 4 threads related to this topic. Some of the others with hard drives attached can respond to this thread too. When I click the browse to pick a source and then choose USB, my 179 songs appear in a list sorted by title. Admittedly my example is simplistic.

Your 5T drive of songs makes my 179 songs on a thumb drive seem a little silly. There are a few threads talking about using the USB input of the Ultra to play music files on an external drive. In fact, below where I am entering this post, a list of similar threads shows 4 threads related to this topic. Some of the others with hard drives attached can respond to this thread too. When I click the browse to pick a source and then choose USB, my 179 songs appear in a list sorted by title. Admittedly my example is simplistic.
Thanks for your thoughts. Those similar threads are helpful but I do not believe any discuss DSD/DSF capability.

DSD/DSF support is mentioned in several places in the Ultra release notes but as it’s not a format I personally use, I can’t confirm how well it handles those formats

DSD/DSF support is mentioned in several places in the Ultra release notes but as it’s not a format I personally use, I can’t confirm how well it handles those formats

Thank you for posting that link. In the 8/2/24 FW update it states...

Release date:

8 / 2 / 2024

What's New:

DSD Playback Enhancement
: Now supports playing DSD audio tracks in DFF format.

That's great news. It would be great to see if anyone is using a USB hard drive to play DSD/DSF files. I'm wondering if the files on my hard drives are in the DFF format. I'm a bit challenged in the technical aspects of the various DSD formats.

The 7/26/2024 entry also shows

1. DSD Format Support for USB Disks: Adds the ability to play DSD audio tracks in DSF and DST formats directly from a USB disk.

Thank you for posting that link. In the 8/2/24 FW update it states...

Release date:

8 / 2 / 2024

What's New:

DSD Playback Enhancement
: Now supports playing DSD audio tracks in DFF format.

That's great news. It would be great to see if anyone is using a USB hard drive to play DSD/DSF files. I'm wondering if the files on my hard drives are in the DFF format. I'm a bit challenged in the technical aspects of the various DSD formats.
I think it plays dsf and dff files but transcodes to PCM

The Ultra can play DSD/DSF files directly from a USB hard drive, so no conversion to FLAC is needed. For screenshots of the WiiM app, you might find some in online user reviews or by contacting the manufacturer.
Does it play DSD natively if you use the internal DAC? I don't think the Amp does using Squeezelite.

Does it play DSD natively if you use the internal DAC? I don't think the Amp does using Squeezelite.
Wiim need to update their faq, but I'd be 99% sure it's converted to pcm.

Will DSD (using DoP) be supported on any digital inputs or in any streaming modes?Currently, our system does not support native DSD playback. We are developing a feature to convert DSD files to PCM format for playback.

DSD is converted to PCM for output to usb.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. Those similar threads are helpful but I do not believe any discuss DSD/DSF capability.
If you use an external dac you are limited to 192khz. Whether this will ever change is unknown. Perhaps an Ifi streamer may be more suitable if dsd/dsf is important to you and you use a separate dac.

Thanks to everyone that posted their thoughts on my questions. In all honesty I'm not overly concerned about the DSD/DSF files be converted to PCM. I'd prefer the files would not be converted but the fact that the Ultra will play the files is great.

If you use an external dac you are limited to 192khz. Whether this will ever change is unknown. Perhaps an Ifi streamer may be more suitable if dsd/dsf is important to you and you use a separate dac.
I will be using an external DAC. Not really concerned about the 192khz limitation. Back when I started looking at streamers the iFi Zen Stream was on my short list. But the more I read about it I went with the Mini then the Pro. Been very happy with WiiM products and the iOS app.

Thanks to everyone that posted their thoughts on my questions. In all honesty I'm not overly concerned about the DSD/DSF files be converted to PCM. I'd prefer the files would not be converted but the fact that the Ultra will play the files is great.

I will be using an external DAC. Not really concerned about the 192khz limitation. Back when I started looking at streamers the iFi Zen Stream was on my short list. But the more I read about it I went with the Mini then the Pro. Been very happy with WiiM products and the iOS app.
The problem I had with the iFi, which they acknowledged as an issue, is it wouldn’t recognise my Denafrips dac automatically. The Chord Hugo 2 was fine but Denafrips no. That is why I moved to the Wiim path, first Pro now Ultra.

I'm having issues with my Wiim Ultra reading my DSF files.
It reads them as "UNKNOWN" but with the album art.
When I go to play them however, it tells me the track name and information.
All of the songs are also bundled up in the same album folder.
Not sure why.

I'm having issues with my Wiim Ultra reading my DSF files.
It reads them as "UNKNOWN" but with the album art.
When I go to play them however, it tells me the track name and information.
All of the songs are also bundled up in the same album folder.
Not sure why.
The metadata on the Now Playing screen is being pulled from the file during playback.
Is the UNKNOWN issue only related to DSF files?

EDIT: Same issue as another user posted here. WiiM asked to be sent feedback.

Last edited:
Back