Why the large price differences between the US and UK/EU?

LennyBruce

I know that all markets vary and a lot of stuff appears cheaper in the US but the price difference is very noticeable with the Wiim stuff.
A Wiim Ultra is nearly 50% more expensive in the UK than the USA.
I used to work in the US a lot, wish I still did!

For one thing, US prices tend to be quoted without sales tax as that can vary from state to state, while the UK price includes 20% VAT. When you consider fluctuating exchange rates, different trade tariffs on goods in different regions, import duties etc then it’s not unusual that the GBP number is often close to the USD number.

Edit: this perceived “disparity” has been evident with Amazon Echo devices for years and I’m sure other gear

Last edited:
How many hours does the average US American, the average Brit and the average European have to work to be able to buy a WiiM Ultra?

Import taxes from China are different between EU & UK since Brexit. Exchange rate fluctuations probably have a bigger effect on price differences.
I think the prices companies quote try and ride out those changes - as I said earlier, from their release in the UK, Amazon Echos and related kit were often the same number in USD in the USA as they were in GBP in the UK (and EU) well before Brexit hit us.

I think the prices companies quote try and ride out those changes - as I said earlier, from their release in the UK, Amazon Echos and related kit were often the same number in USD in the USA as they were in GBP in the UK (and EU) well before Brexit hit us.
Tidal charge the same figure in Dollars and Pounds and there isn't even a physical product to import.

Average big mac price of 6 usd/gbp/euro

US. 329 54 big mac
UK 457. 76 big mac
EUROZONE 445 74 big mac
Let's not forget Latam which slowly is becoming a buying force as well. For us the logical choice is buy through Amazon US and in some cases pay shipping and import fees.

It’s just fact, to export goods to the UK after Brexit has become much more expensive for the companies. So they need to increase the prices. No politic just fact.
But aren’t Wiim manufactured in China? Brexit shouldn’t change anything only EU trade. So US and China shouldn’t change from pre Brexit.
The problem is as stated the UK price includes tax already. I presume US prices still need local State taxes applied so even the Amazon Com price is understated?

But aren’t Wiim manufactured in China? Brexit shouldn’t change anything only EU trade. So US and China shouldn’t change from pre Brexit.
The problem is as stated the UK price includes tax already. I presume US prices still need local State taxes applied so even the Amazon Com price is understated?
The price you see on Amazon US tax not included. Let say advertise price 300 plus 10% tax so your subtotal would be 330. If you don’t have prime and want to be delivered fast you would add additional shipping depending if you want 1 or 2 days. This shipping vary in cost anywhere from 15 to 30 on top of 330.

Back