Wiim Amp large room with Wiim mini?

KJ315

Hi,

My question is I have the Wiim Amp connected to my TV, CD & Turntable. It’s in a large room.
My turntable has an internal preamp. Could I put the turntable on the other side of the room, connect it to a Wiim mini and have a “faux” multi room that would play through the passive speakers that are connected to the Wiim Amp on the opposite side of the same room?
Or does the Wiim mini need to connected to a separate pair of speakers in the same room?

Thanks

Yes, but the mini has a worse ADC than the Amp so won't provide the best signal path from your turntable (biting my tongue to hold my opinions of vinyl)
Wiim Mini ADC 48kHz 16bit 3.5mm
WiiM Amp ADC 192kHz 24 bit RCA

If this is an issue, and you can't connect the turntable directly to the Amp, you could use the Pro Plus which has a similar (same?) ADC as the Amp.

Edit WiiM Mini ADC Analog In Measurements
Feeding the Mini analog input and capturing the same, gives this output:
Wiim Mini Measurement Analog in Analog Out Streamer Android Bluetooth.png

Performance is dominated by distortion. Switching to Toslink out to eliminate effect of the DAC we basically get the same result:

Wiim Mini Measurement Analog in Digital Toslink Out Streamer Android Bluetooth.png

So just like the DAC, this is a mass market ADC implementation. Good enough for common uses though but I would not route the clean output of any DAC through it.

Last edited:
LOL, I know, I know.....
It seemed appropriate for a scientific review of the ADC though.
Other subjective reviews agree that the mini (and pro) have average ADC/DAC performance.

Biting my tongue to hold my opinions about ASR 😂

That’s quite ridiculous. I thoroughly appreciate, and am happy to listen to any discussion on whether ‘measurements aren’t everything’, but the idea that (implicit in your post in this case and this context) ‘measurements aren’t anything’ is real tinfoil hat stuff.

I am happy to concede some room for debate, but if you think a DAC which has higher distortion and a poorer signal-to-noise ratio will sound better than one with lower distortion and a better SNR is absolutely crazy.

And by the way, as almost every audio manufacturer posts either figures or descriptions claiming their products have low distortion and great SNR, and these get regular mentions with subject subjectivist reviewers, presumably they all believe it, too.

That’s quite ridiculous. I thoroughly appreciate, and am happy to listen to any discussion on whether ‘measurements aren’t everything’, but the idea that (implicit in your post in this case and this context) ‘measurements aren’t anything’ is real tinfoil hat stuff.

I am happy to concede some room for debate, but if you think a DAC which has higher distortion and a poorer signal-to-noise ratio will sound better than one with lower distortion and a better SNR is absolutely crazy.

And by the way, as almost every audio manufacturer posts either figures or descriptions claiming their products have low distortion and great SNR, and these get regular mentions with subject subjectivist reviewers, presumably they all believe it, too.
I guess some just like distortion if it's the right type 🤣

Never denied the importance of measurements, but not done by hobbyists. I rely on my own (long) experience and in the manufacturers (best regarded) I choose. And ey ess are morphed quicker and quicker into a marketing place for FunFi, avoiding the C word.

Never denied the importance of measurements, but not done by hobbyists. I rely on my own (long) experience and in the manufacturers (best regarded) I choose. And ey ess are morphed quicker and quicker into a marketing place for FunFi, avoiding the C word.
Yup better to trust the manufacturers like VW emissions measurements 🤣

I wondered already how long it will last 😉
But absolutely no intention to start another discussion about ey ess are.

But you just did. FreakyKiwi’s post was non-confrontational, relevant, accurate and polite.

If it ever turned into an argument it was with your response, which was confrontational, irrelevant and impolite.

I’m not sure you could say Amir at ASR was just ‘a hobbyist’.

Back