Wiim app doesn't work with bluetooth on Wiim Pro (after first setup), wifi allways needed

jeronimo

Hello,
After first setup of the Wiim Pro connected to ethernet, bluetooth only work as a source.
I want to use bluetooth on my phone, without wifi.
Unhappily Wiim app doesn't control the Wiim pro without wifi, and i don't understand this weird limitation.
Is there any setting i didn't make correctly or?

Power cable plug off
Ethernet cable in
Power cable plug in
Now in the settings ethernet should show up as source, (normally by default)
Do not touch "enable wifi"
Should work.

Power cable plug off
Ethernet cable in
Power cable plug in
Should work.
I don’t think that’s what the OP is complaining about - to me it sounds like they want to use the WiiM app with wifi turned off on their phone which it can’t as it needs wifi to find their WiiM device.

Power cable plug off
Ethernet cable in
Power cable plug in
Should work.
Hello Achim1811, thanks for your reply, but i doesn't have any issue with ethernet. Wiim app on my phone allways ask to enable wifi on the phone before to start. If i switch off the wifi on my phone when playing an amazon music playlist for example, the playlist keep playing (throught ethernet connexion) but i can't control the play (skip, pause, etc) with the app. I had a bluetooth connexion with the Wiim Pro at first setup, and i want to use it to control the Wiim pro instead of wifi.

Ok, then I understood it wrong. I have had the problem that suddenly my network connection swapped to WiFi. Only way to get ethernet again was the way i mentioned. The setup the OP wants seems impossible to me.

If i switch off the wifi on my phone when playing an amazon music playlist for example, the playlist keep playing (throught ethernet connexion) but i can't control the play (skip, pause, etc) with the app.

I might ask a stupid question, but why do I need a Wiim app?

If you turn off your phone's Wi-Fi and play Bluetooth, you can control it with any music app.

For example, I can play offline with Amazon music or YT music. So I don't think you need to use the WiiM app.

Ps.
Bluetooth is a mechanism that transfers music played on the phone to the WiiM, so Wi-Fi is not required. On the other hand, if you want to play music from WiiM over Ethernet (or Wi-Fi), you'll need Wi-Fi because your phone acts as a remote control.

Last edited:
I might ask a stupid question, but why do I need a Wiim app?

If you turn off your phone's Wi-Fi and play Bluetooth, you can control it with any music app.

For example, I can play offline with Amazon music or YT music. So I don't think you need to use the WiiM app.
Wouldn’t that rather defeat the point of having a Wiim device? Why not just buy a cheap BT receiver if that‘s all you‘re going to be doing?

The purpose of the WiiM Home app is to configure the device and its inputs/outputs as well as being a front end to the music services it can deliver. And to do those things, it needs wifi.

Wouldn’t that rather defeat the point of having a Wiim device? Why not just buy a cheap BT receiver if that‘s all you‘re going to be doing?

The purpose of the WiiM Home app is to configure the device and its inputs/outputs as well as being a front end to the music services it can deliver. And to do those things, it needs wifi.

I agree with you, but he says that he wants to listen to music on WiiM using Bluetooth. I don't know why he would want to turn off the phone's Wi-Fi, but I doubt there is any other way out than offline playback in that situation.

... I may have misunderstood something.

I agree with you, but he says that he wants to listen to music on WiiM using Bluetooth. I don't know why he would want to turn off the phone's Wi-Fi, but I doubt there is any other way out than offline playback in that situation.

... I may have misunderstood something.

I must admit to some confusion too as the question opened with the Wiim pro being connected by ethernet, so networking is involved. Maybe the pro is connected to an Ethernet outlet which is some distance away from the router and out of wifi range? Until the OP gives us more info, we’re just taking wild stabs in the dark…

Back