WiiM Mini network file sharing

bobsink

Just purchased WiiM mini to see how it worked as well as the Home app. I am running a Bluesound Node and most of my listening is from Hi-Res files on my WD NAS(12TB). The Bluesound Node allows me to give a network folder address for monitoring and indexing of the music within. This works great and whenever I add new music to that folder, I just re-index and it is there. I have been looking seriously at the upcoming WiiM Ultra but am concerned that if the Mini can’t index like my Node, will the new Ultra meet the test. Can anyone answer this or am I missing a step in having the WiiM Mini find a particular folder on my NAS? Thanks for any help!

WiiM devices currently don’t support SMB file sharing but it is on the roadmap for them all.

Have you considered using a better server solution like Minimserver on your NAS if it can support it?

Some users have reported that Plex on the WD NAS line doesn't support DLNA (the usual DLNA configuration setting isn't there), so if you want to use it as a media server with the WiiM Home app then you'll need to use Twonky Server.
Failing that, anything from a Raspberry Pi 3 and up with MinimServer installed will also work, leaving your files on the WD.

WiiM devices currently don’t support SMB file sharing but it is on the roadmap for them all.

Have you considered using a better server solution like Minimserver on your NAS if it can support it?
Is SMB what makes the Node products able to access NAS folders directly by IP address? My Node allows you to monitor a music library folder such as 192.168.0.xxx/folder name. That works great for me. Like I said in my post, I really like the looks and features of the new Ultra but it has to work as well as the Node. Thanks!

Is SMB what makes the Node products able to access NAS folders directly by IP address? My Node allows you to monitor a music library folder such as 192.168.0.xxx/folder name. That works great for me. Like I said in my post, I really like the looks and features of the new Ultra but it has to work as well as the Node. Thanks!
I believe so, but probably best waiting until the feature is out (I’d guess July or so) and used by a few people or use an alternative as suggested above.

I believe so, but probably best waiting until the feature is out (I’d guess July or so) and used by a few people or use an alternative as suggested above.
Totally agree. The WiiM roadmap says 6/30 for SMB, just in time for the new Ultra release. Hope it goes out in July with it onboard!!

If you use Android then the bubbleupnp app can access a file share via smb.
However, even if wiim supports smb in the nearish future this would be basically folder browsing compared to the bluesound accessing the share and building its own music database.
i.e. I think you'll be disappointed with just SMB access.

Minimserver running on my nas is, imo, a very good, comparable alternative to when i had a bluesound node that performed its own indexing.
One caveat to that is that (with minimserver free at least, don't know if the paid version supports it) minimserver doesn't auto index on content changes.
I either need to trigger a manual rescan, e.g. from bubbleupnp, or wait for the nightly restart I scheduled (in the Nas settings itself, not a minimserver option) to pick up changes as it scans on startup.

Back