WiiM Mini Optical Out to speaker USB-A In

Raphaz

Can I use the Optical Out on the WiiM Mini and connect it to the USB-A In on a powered speaker (if I can find an optical to USB-A audio adapter cable that is)?

Thank you.

You'll need to be specific about the speakers. If they are those crappy little USB powered computer speakers, then no way, this won't supply power. Most studio monitors have analog inputs, though, which the WiiM Mini can definitely connect to via its analog output. Many also have toslink inputs.

You'll need to be specific about the speakers. If they are those crappy little USB powered computer speakers, then no way, this won't supply power. Most studio monitors have analog inputs, though, which the WiiM Mini can definitely connect to via its analog output. Many also have toslink inputs.
The speakers are the Q Acoustics M20. Although they also offer 3.5 mm and optical input options, I am specifically looking to connect their USB-A input with the optical output on the Wiim.
This is not about supplying power to the speakers. I need to use the USB-A port (no other) on the speakers to feed the sound from the Wiim to the speakers.
I have my reasons for that. Just wanted to find out if that would work.

Last edited:
The optical to USB adaptors I am aware of all draw their power from the USB connection.

This is fine if the USB end is a computer as the computer will provide the required power but it won't work if the USB port on the connected device does not provide power over USB.
Its possible that connecting both the optical -> USB adaptor and your speakers via a powered USB hub could work but would need testing.

There’s no computer involved here. The USB port is on the speaker/receiving side, transporting sound from the WiiM to the receiver. The WiiM side uses the optical out port. The speakers are powered via a separate power adapter, not via USB.
I probably don’t understand enough about power requirements for USB. I was not aware of it. So what you’re sayin is I need a hub (plugged into a power outlet) that delivers the necessary power to make this work?

Because the optical to USB draws its required power via its USB connection then if your speakers cannot provide the power then a powered hub MAY work. I think its unlikely though.
USB uses a master slave model and in your scenario there I doubt there will be a USB master. Typically a USB master is a computer
Not sure why you don’t use the optical connection. Guaranteed to work

I use optical to optical right now.
The problem is the speakers default auto-standby - it won’t wake up again automatically if audio is played.
The speakers are on an elevated platform I can’t reach easily. The remote is picky and the speakers forget their volume setting.
So I have to fiddle with the remote and volume setting every single time. It’s specially annoying as I want to use the Mini’s alarm clock function in the morning.

The only way to bypass the auto-standby ( as far as I’m aware) is by connecting the speakers via USB. But the Mini does not have USB. That’s how we got here.
Always on is not ideal but better than to fiddle with the remote and volume settings for minutes every single time.

I’d be happier with another solution where sound triggers the speakers to come back on, but I can’t think of any.

I’m totally open to suggestions.

Sounds like a good excuse for a speaker upgrade :)
Don’t get me started!
I can’t do that! I just got the M20s after selling the very disappointing LSX (gen 1). Both were meant to be wireless replacements/upgrades for/from my good old wired Minimus 7s. The intent was to get rid of the wires running all across the space (that’s why I’m hesitant to add yet another gadget like the powered USB hub suggested by jfbuk above), and to slightly improve SQ.
The speakers are used as remotes and don’t need to be super fancy. They just need to sound decent, look ok, be on the smaller side, and work as intended.
I read many reviews before I decided for the M20s, and they do sound good.
Who knows what issues yet another “upgrade” would be plagued with.

Why is this so difficult?!

I need to find a way to get the M20s to work and for them to wake up when sound is detected.
There must be a work around!

Help!

It may work if you use a powered USB hub. My reading is the USB IN on the Q Acoustics is for connecting to a computer (which would normally supply the power).

I don’t think you will find a solution to feed audio to the speakers from the Mini via USB directly. You would need to invest in a more expensive streamer with usb output.
You could put together a solution where you use a small computer, something like a Raspberry Pi, to feed the speakers over USB. There is a lot of RPi software, LMS and Volumio to name but two , that have alarm clock functionality and are controllable/configurable via a web browser.
My other thought is to move the timer/alarm clock functionality to the power feed to the speakers. Do the speakers “wake-up” when they are powered on. There are a number of controllable/configurable timers that could work. You can use the RCA or aux in from the Mini.

Thank you, jfbuk, for your suggestions. I really appreciate you trying to help. Same for all of you here with suggestions and advice.

I may have to try the powered USB hub, and if that doesn’t work, confront myself with the reality that there’s no satisfying solution with the M20 in this desired setup, and get something else in the future (Mr Ee has a point here). Or I just live with wires and go back to the M7s. Sigh!

The last thing I want is more gadgets, more cables and connectors. It’s ridiculous to me to think that I need an extra computer or Raspberry Pi and whatnot to make a set of wireless, powered remotes wake up. And I have no doubt the more I add, the more I introduce new challenges and the need for yet another something, while the initial idea was less footprint.
The timer on the power source sounds like an elegant, quick and easy solution, except that I need to use the alarm clock function on the Wiim Pro+ that’s with my main system where all the sound sources are pulled from. Remember, this is about wireless remotes, rears, secondaries, or satellites or whatever you wanna call them, sitting pretty far away from the mains/source, on an elevated platform, not easy to reach.

I was just pushing jfbuk’s power outlet timer idea a bit further. Maybe one of these smart power outlet thingies could be synced directly with the Pro+ and trigger the speaker to power up or something. Some of these understand IFTTT commands I think (probably limited though).
Not sure if the speakers then would just go into standby though - I’m suspicious they would, and that they’d need to be told what connection to pick; plus, they most likely won’t remember their volume setting.
Sigh!

Last edited:
Tired!!

Is there any other way for me to force the M20 to always be on? Seems like that’d the only solution.

If you have any experience with decent speakers that would definitely work in my setup as it is, and would be woken up by the Mini as intended for sure (or be always on), let me know. Ideally they’re no bigger than the M20, with decent SQ.

Last edited:
Back