Wiim Pro no MQA playback - Tidal connect

khuntim

Strange new issue, MQA tracks no longer play. my DAC died, so plugged into optical on powered speakers, the specs are 24/96 and the test file plays fine, everything else plays fine, just silence on MQA tracks.

I tried MQA beta on and off, DAC as renderer only etc. just silence.

example of one track in this playlist: https://tidal.com/browse/track/2061278?u

just silence, then when non-MQA track plays no issue.

I'll be glad when this MQA thing is over finally! lol

Your Ry Cooder track it's a 44.1KHz 16bit MQA and plays as usual. These MQA are still here, they don't carry any hi-res and in the PCM data content, are the same as a normal CD quality flac. Just a flag telling to go with MQA if available.
I guess the WiiM does the 2x upsample, first step of MQA and sends to your speakers a 88.2KHz stream. It's likely your speakers don't support that sample rate. Try to play a 48KHz MQA (some are still there) , it should go to more common 96KHz and play, then switch off any MQA process on WiiM, Ry Cooder should come back...

Last edited:
Your Ry Cooder track it's a 44.1KHz 16bit MQA and plays as usual. These MQA are still here, they don't carry any hi-res and in the PCM data content, are the same as a normal CD quality flac. Just a flag telling to go with MQA if available.
I guess the WiiM does the 2x upsample, first step of MQA and sends to your speakers a 88.2KHz stream. It's likely your speakers don't support that sample rate. Try to play a 48KHz MQA (some are still there) , it should go to more common 96KHz and play, then switch off any MQA process on WiiM, Ry Cooder should come back...

Makes sense, I used to use a DAC with my speakers that would support I guess.

I turned off MQA beta and still silence..

How can I tell the bitrate of MQA? the windows app just says MQA.. I don't think Android displays the bitrate either?

Edit: Turned off MQA beta and it plays today!

Last edited:
Makes sense, I used to use a DAC with my speakers that would support I guess.

I turned off MQA beta and still silence..

How can I tell the bitrate of MQA? the windows app just says MQA.. I don't think Android displays the bitrate either?

Edit: Turned off MQA beta and it plays today!
Good to hear this...
Don't you use a mobile WiiM app? You'll read the bitrate and sample on playing screen, even if the source is Tidal connect.
As for WiiM doing or not the upsample to 88.2KHz, remember that the player keeps the previous set up until a skip is done. Maybe your previous combinations of tests, didn't get this condition.

Back