Wiim Pro Plus DAC compared to Mission 778x DAC

pete105

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a Mission 778x Amp/DAC along with either a Wiim Pro (using the Mission's DAC) or a Wiim Pro Plus (using the Wiim's DAC) as second system. I obviously don't need to the Pro Plus if I'm going to use the Mission's DAC, but I don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it.

This is specifically to use Lyrion Music Server (Squeezelite)/Chromecast on the Wiim and the USB functionality of the amp.

Has anyone used any of these combinations of kit and can confirm whether the Wiim Pro Plus's DAC is much better than the Mission's please?

I suspect there's not much in it, but any views would be of interest.

Thanks,

Pete.

I do not have your choice of kit, but I do have an excellent DAC (Metrum NOS, with seperate power supply, worth around 1000$ 10 years ago) which is not in use any longer, as I find the Pro+ DAC equally good!

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a Mission 778x Amp/DAC along with either a Wiim Pro (using the Mission's DAC) or a Wiim Pro Plus (using the Wiim's DAC) as second system. I obviously don't need to the Pro Plus if I'm going to use the Mission's DAC, but I don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it.

This is specifically to use Lyrion Music Server (Squeezelite)/Chromecast on the Wiim and the USB functionality of the amp.

Has anyone used any of these combinations of kit and can confirm whether the Wiim Pro Plus's DAC is much better than the Mission's please?

I suspect there's not much in it, but any views would be of interest.

Thanks,

Pete.
I have a Mission 778x and using a Raspberry Pi running pCP over the USB. It sounds superb but there is a minor nuisance factor - https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/linux-unix/1701997-pcp-with-mission-778x
I also have a Pro but have not tried it with the Mission. The connection would have to be Coaxial or Toslink as it does not support USB out. I think the same applies to the Pro Plus. Only the Amp (bizarrely?) and Ultra have USB out.
If you want to use USB on the Mission. Try a Pi.

I have a Mission 778x and using a Raspberry Pi running pCP over the USB. It sounds superb but there is a minor nuisance factor - https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/linux-unix/1701997-pcp-with-mission-778x
I also have a Pro but have not tried it with the Mission. The connection would have to be Coaxial or Toslink as it does not support USB out. I think the same applies to the Pro Plus. Only the Amp (bizarrely?) and Ultra have USB out.
If you want to use USB on the Mission. Try a Pi.
Thanks - I actually already have a Pi and HifiBerry Digi+ Pro hat with coaxial output. I already use USB to connect a Windows PC (it's an office setup), so I'd planned to use the coaxial output from the Wiim.

I'm looking to consolidate a Chromecast Audio (used by my wife) and the Pi (used by me for LMS) into one device (the Wiim), with the added benefit of Qobuz Connect when it finally gets released.

Arguably there may not be much benefit in doing so, but I'm interested to play with a Wiim!

It sounds like you're impressed with the DAC in the Mission. Have you used the coaxial input on the Mission to connect any other devices at all?

Thanks - I actually already have a Pi and HifiBerry Digi+ Pro hat with coaxial output. I already use USB to connect a Windows PC (it's an office setup), so I'd planned to use the coaxial output from the Wiim.

I'm looking to consolidate a Chromecast Audio (used by my wife) and the Pi (used by me for LMS) into one device (the Wiim), with the added benefit of Qobuz Connect when it finally gets released.

Arguably there may not be much benefit in doing so, but I'm interested to play with a Wiim!

It sounds like you're impressed with the DAC in the Mission. Have you used the coaxial input on the Mission to connect any other devices at all?
I haven't as yet tried the coaxial - mainly due to available power sockets - but the DAC via USB sounds awesome. The Mission is paired with some KEF Q550s which may have something to do with it.

In my kitchen I have "consolidated" an Echo Show used by my wife with a WiiM Pro used in Squeezelite mode by me into a Topping Amp driving B&W ceiling speakers. I say consolidated but in truth the Echo Show is still there and simply configured to play out via the WiiM. However it was a very similar issue. It works very well. The switching between the two modes is instant and as long as you leave both volume settings at similar levels we can both live with it.

I think the general consensus is that there is no difference between the Pro and Pro Plus over digital outputs. I'd save my money and stick with the Pro.

I haven't as yet tried the coaxial - mainly due to available power sockets - but the DAC via USB sounds awesome. The Mission is paired with some KEF Q550s which may have something to do with it.

In my kitchen I have "consolidated" an Echo Show used by my wife with a WiiM Pro used in Squeezelite mode by me into a Topping Amp driving B&W ceiling speakers. I say consolidated but in truth the Echo Show is still there and simply configured to play out via the WiiM. However it was a very similar issue. It works very well. The switching between the two modes is instant and as long as you leave both volume settings at similar levels we can both live with it.

I think the general consensus is that there is no difference between the Pro and Pro Plus over digital outputs. I'd save my money and stick with the Pro.
Thank you.

Back