WiiM Pro Room Correction, Optical To Topping E30 or Line Out, LPCM, and Audio Output Switching

Kampernaut

Hi All

I have several interrelated questions about WiiM Pro features that I hope you can answer, so I've combined them into a single post.

For context, I use Apple Music on an Apple TV 4K connected to a Sony Bravia TV. The TV's Optical Out is connected to the WiiM Pro's Optical In. I have an Arcam A90 amplifier with Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. I've connected the WiiM Pro Line Out directly to the A90 and the Optical Out via a Topping E30 DAC for comparison purposes. The room is 4m x 6m, the speakers are positioned near one of the narrow walls, and I sit about 2.5m from the speakers.

I became interested in the WiiM Pro after helping a friend experiment with the room correction feature on the WiiM Pro he bought on my recommendation. The results with his room and equipment were quite profound, so I ordered one in the hope I might experience a similar improvement. However, the results with my equipment and room are far less dramatic.

So, to my questions:

1. Here are before and after pictures of the EQ curves generated by the room correction feature on the WiiM home app:

IMG_3101.PNGIMG_3102.PNG
Should I be satisfied with this, keep trying the procedure or manually adjust the resultant EQ? Or am I lucky there isn't much opportunity for further correction via EQ?

2. Would you expect to notice a difference between the DAC in the WiiM Pro and the Topping E30?

3. Although I know the TV is sending 24-bit 48kHz digital data, the now playing display on the WiiM Home app says just LPCM, unlike when I stream from Wi-Fi or AirPlay to it:

IMG_3103.PNG
Why is that? My Topping E30 shows 48kHz when I connect the TV directly. Is this just because the app doesn't display the LPCM input characteristics by design or oversight, or am I missing something?

4. When I switch the Audio Output between Line Output and Optical Output, the WiiM Pro annoyingly switches the Audio Input to WiFi. This seems like a bug to me. What do you think?

Hi All

I have several interrelated questions about WiiM Pro features that I hope you can answer, so I've combined them into a single post.

For context, I use Apple Music on an Apple TV 4K connected to a Sony Bravia TV. The TV's Optical Out is connected to the WiiM Pro's Optical In. I have an Arcam A90 amplifier with Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. I've connected the WiiM Pro Line Out directly to the A90 and the Optical Out via a Topping E30 DAC for comparison purposes. The room is 4m x 6m, the speakers are positioned near one of the narrow walls, and I sit about 2.5m from the speakers.

I became interested in the WiiM Pro after helping a friend experiment with the room correction feature on the WiiM Pro he bought on my recommendation. The results with his room and equipment were quite profound, so I ordered one in the hope I might experience a similar improvement. However, the results with my equipment and room are far less dramatic.

So, to my questions:

1. Here are before and after pictures of the EQ curves generated by the room correction feature on the WiiM home app:

View attachment 10209View attachment 10210
Should I be satisfied with this, keep trying the procedure or manually adjust the resultant EQ? Or am I lucky there isn't much opportunity for further correction via EQ?

2. Would you expect to notice a difference between the DAC in the WiiM Pro and the Topping E30?

3. Although I know the TV is sending 24-bit 48kHz digital data, the now playing display on the WiiM Home app says just LPCM, unlike when I stream from Wi-Fi or AirPlay to it:

View attachment 10211
Why is that? My Topping E30 shows 48kHz when I connect the TV directly. Is this just because the app doesn't display the LPCM input characteristics by design or oversight, or am I missing something?

4. When I switch the Audio Output between Line Output and Optical Output, the WiiM Pro annoyingly switches the Audio Input to WiFi. This seems like a bug to me. What do you think?
The default rc is b&k. Change the curve to flat and run it again.

The default rc is b&k. Change the curve to flat and run it again.
Thank you for your reply @Smartplug. Why did you advocate the flat curve? I tried all the curves and did not get significant improvement with any of them. Maybe 'I'm holding it wrong'.

Since posting, I found a reference to the HouseCurve app on a thread about beta testing WiiM's room correction feature. I tried that and manually transferred its suggested EQ settings to the WiiM Pro. It significantly improved my system's sound and convinced me to keep the WiiM Pro. I like how HouseCurve allows you to test your configuration against the target curve. I can also use it with the WiiM Minis I have in other rooms.

I'd be very grateful if anyone else could answer my other questions.

Thank you for your reply @Smartplug. Why did you advocate the flat curve? I tried all the curves and did not get significant improvement with any of them. Maybe 'I'm holding it wrong'.

Since posting, I found a reference to the HouseCurve app on a thread about beta testing WiiM's room correction feature. I tried that and manually transferred its suggested EQ settings to the WiiM Pro. It significantly improved my system's sound and convinced me to keep the WiiM Pro. I like how HouseCurve allows you to test your configuration against the target curve. I can also use it with the WiiM Minis I have in other rooms.

I'd be very grateful if anyone else could answer my other questions.
Other curve, I could hear emphasis on certain range which I don’t like. I like balanced low, mid and high. This was reason I chose flat. It also depends on your system how revealing they are. I’m my subjective opinion, I would put more money on speakers and room treatment. In particular speaker which in this case rare being used. I heard dome from all kinds of material and even horn and ribbon tweeter did not satisfy my discriminating ear. Ring radiator tweeter is neither bright or dull which I like. Resonance is bad for music.

Other curve, I could hear emphasis on certain range which I don’t like. I like balanced low, mid and high. This was reason I chose flat. It also depends on your system how revealing they are. I’m my subjective opinion, I would put more money on speakers and room treatment. In particular speaker which in this case rare being used. I heard dome from all kinds of material and even horn and ribbon tweeter did not satisfy my discriminating ear. Ring radiator tweeter is neither bright or dull which I like. Resonance is bad for music.
I see. Thank you very much again.

Back