Wiim Ultra - question about using optical in and optical out simultaneously

Etudes.2024

I have my NAD CD player connected to the Ultra via the optical cable (therefore bypassing the internal DAC in the NAD). I've now connected an external DAC to the Wiim (The S.M.S.L. SU-1) using the optical out. My question- is the digital signal from the CD player converted to analog inside the Wiim, before being sent to SU-1?

I'm asking because I'm getting some pops / stutters when I play CD's but only when the external DAC is in the chain. Got me wondering if this set up is problematic.

Last edited:
My question- is the digital signal from the CD player converted to analog inside the Wiim, before being sent to SU-1?
It might get resampled though, e.g. if the source resolution is higher than the maximum resolution configured for optical out.

This shouldn't be an issue with a CD transport, since this is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz, which is the lowest available output resolution, anyway.

I'm wondering if the DAC might be re-syncing to the appropriate bit depth and sampling frequency and this might cause the pops

I'm asking because I'm getting some pops / stutters when I play CD's but only when the external DAC is in the chain.
This shouldn't happen. Can you set the SU-1 to 16/44.1 permanently to see if @harkpabst is right?

I must ask why you use the SU-1 instead of relying on the DAC built into the Ultra? Does it sound better to you?

This shouldn't happen. Can you set the SU-1 to 16/44.1 permanently to see if @harkpabst is right?

I must ask why you use the SU-1 instead of relying on the DAC built into the Ultra? Does it sound better to you?

I saw a review stating the SU-1 might be an upgrade to the internal Ultra DAC, so I figured it was worth trying. I must say the more I compared the SU-1 to the Ultra internal DAC, the more I preferred the Ultra. I'd still like to know what was causing the popping/ stuttering with the SU-1 in case I want to try another external DAC down the road. To your question, I'm not sure if I can adjust the SU-1 to 16/44.1. I'll check it out. Thanks

Last edited:
It might get resampled though, e.g. if the source resolution is higher than the maximum resolution configured for optical out.

This shouldn't be an issue with a CD transport, since this is limited to 16 bit 44.1 kHz, which is the lowest available output resolution, anyway.

I'm wondering if the DAC might be re-syncing to the appropriate bit depth and sampling frequency and this might cause the pops
Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't had much experience with external DAC's so this is all good info.

Hey Guys, when using an external DAC with a WiiM, say sending optical out to the external DAC to use, say, just the WiiM's Streamer then, are the EQ Settings you can set using the WiiM App still operational ? Cause, I am thinking about going with an external DAC, but I typically always apply some EQ currently when listening to my WiiM Pro Plus. Thanks.

Hey Guys, when using an external DAC with a WiiM, say sending optical out to the external DAC to use, say, just the WiiM's Streamer then, are the EQ Settings you can set using the WiiM App still operational ? Cause, I am thinking about going with an external DAC, but I typically always apply some EQ currently when listening to my WiiM Pro Plus. Thanks.
Yes, EQ out. RC too.

The graphic EQ and parameter EQ is applied in the digital domain so it will work for any output. The same is true if room corrections (RC) is used.

Back