Youtube music integration

BigFreaky

Can you please add an integration with youtube music?

I know that it can be done through the chromecast integration, but would be handful and better to have it on the wiim app, like the one with Amazon music.

Easier said than done. If Google don’t make an API available to third parties like WiiM, then it’s a no go as any unofficial implementation will no doubt attract Google’s displeasure.

Thanks, I don't have background if Youtube music has a integration API available. But if don't, i totally understand your point.

Can you please add an integration with youtube music?

I know that it can be done through the chromecast integration, but would be handful and better to have it on the wiim app, like the one with Amazon music.
I'm not sure anyone prefers accessing their online services using the WiiM app vs the service's native app.
I wouldn't refer to the implementations as integrated, more like connected with basic control.

Music Assistant, which I'm currently testing to replace LMS, does have proper library integration for YTM along with Apple (in beta) and several other popular services and can stream to WiiM.

I'm not sure anyone prefers accessing their online services using the WiiM app vs the service's native app.
I wouldn't refer to the implementations as integrated, more like connected with basic control.

Music Assistant, which I'm currently testing to replace LMS, does have proper library integration for YTM along with Apple (in beta) and several other popular services and can stream to WiiM.
i was reading through their documentation, and it clearly states there that these are unofficial implementations. kudos to the devs for trying it. 👏

but i'm curious - have you used either one? how well does it work?

...and it's written in Python, one of today's most-used languages, vs the long-in-the-tooth Perl used by LMS. You've piqued my interest, thanks! Wasn't aware of this project.

i was reading through their documentation, and it clearly states there that these are unofficial implementations. kudos to the devs for trying it. 👏

but i'm curious - have you used either one? how well does it work?
The integration is impeccable, my local and online YTM libraries appear as one with additional albums and tracks for the artist combined and linked for online music.

The downside is that the interface is not as responsive as LMS or Roon (it seems to be the online libraries slowing it down which I don't have integrated in the other environments), and metadata scraping has been throttled as apparently, they were crushing MusicBrainz with an enormous number of API calls after the initial launch and will only download as you browse to a track/album/artist.

I'm also not seeing full metadata making it to my Wiim using Squeezelite (Wiim app just shows "SQUEEZELITE"), or my Vero4K OSMC box using DLNA (Track name only with no artist name displayed), but this isn't a big issue as Music Assistant is the interface I'm looking at while playing.

1718488308809.png

Last edited:
Got the docker version of MA running on a small ‘nix server without issue. Tidal was a PITA to enable, some issues between one or more Chrome extensions and Tidal, but once resolved, was straightforward.

I wish the UI was more configurable, but MA does support a lot of endpoints, and it integrates the services nicely.

I’m very much an album player, and I love having full artist/album details fully available, to the point where my own hacks allow copy/paste of these details to a local database, because the services are mostly quite lacking, so, while MA is a pretty decent setup, I’ll be sticking with my custom software for now.

Back