‘Bigging up’ the Mini

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Due to domestic considerations, my listening this evening has been on headphones, which I do via the Mini via a great DAC/headphone amp.

Absolutely astonishing.

Obviously, on headphones you don’t need the subwoofer/bass management features of the Ultra, nor the room correction.

So at £90, if you already have an external DAC and headphone amp, this is blinding. The Mini’s DAC ain’t all that, but it outputs over optical perfectly. And if you have several headphones, it’s PEQ abilities are more than good enough to sort out several pairs of cans.

I’ve just listened to Abbey Road for the thousandth time, and this is maybe the best I’ve ever heard it.

What wonderful times we live in.

Last edited:
I also use a WiiM Mini for my headphones, but unlike you, I plug my headphones directly into the WiiM Mini audio out port.

The resulting sound is excellent, and I certainly don't need an external DAC and headphone amplifier.

I also use a WiiM Mini for my headphones, but unlike you, I plug my headphones directly into the WiiM Mini audio out port.

The resulting sound is excellent, and I certainly don't need an external DAC and headphone amplifier.

I’ve seen this method before, though not with a WiiM. What headphones are you using?

I’ve seen this method before, though not with a WiiM. What headphones are you using?
I'm using Sennheiser HD 239, and Grado GW100X using 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable. Both of these headphones are open back design, and sit on the ear, rather than surrounding them. This is exactly what I like in headphones, they are very comfortable, and can be worn for many hours without listening fatigue. Another benefit for me is that you can hear what is going on around you, and can even have a conversation with somebody whilst listening to your music.

There is plenty of volume available, and I have never needed to go more than two thirds on the volume slider, and usually only about half way.

The Grado is primarily known for being probably the only open back Bluetooth headphone on the market, and I occasionally use it this way, but the sound is much better using a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jack cable.

I have also used the Grado's with a WiiM Pro, and a WiiM Pro Plus connected to the line out, using 3.5mm jack to two RCA Phono plugs cable.

I'm using Sennheiser HD 239, and Grado GW100X using 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable. Both of these headphones are open back design, and sit on the ear, rather than surrounding them. This is exactly what I like in headphones, they are very comfortable, and can be worn for many hours without listening fatigue. Another benefit for me is that you can hear what is going on around you, and can even have a conversation with somebody whilst listening to your music.

There is plenty of volume available, and I have never needed to go more than two thirds on the volume slider, and usually only about half way.

The Grado is primarily known for being probably the only open back Bluetooth headphone on the market, and I occasionally use it this way, but the sound is much better using a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jack cable.

I have also used the Grado's with a WiiM Pro, and a WiiM Pro Plus connected to the line out, using 3.5mm jack to two RCA Phono plugs cable.

The Grados are too ‘bright’ for me, but each to their own. (y) But then again, I also have a pair of DT990s, do what do I know? 😂

Due to domestic considerations, my listening this evening has been on headphones, which I do via the Mini via a great DAC/headphone amp.

Absolutely astonishing.

Obviously, on headphones you don’t need the subwoofer/bass management features of the Ultra, nor the room correction.

So at £90, if you already have an external DAC and headphone amp, this is blinding. The Mini’s DAC ain’t all that, but it outputs over optical perfectly. And if you have several headphones, it’s PEQ abilities are more than good enough to sort out several pairs of cans.

I’ve just listened to Abbey Road for the thousandth time, and this is maybe the best I’ve ever heard it.

What wonderful times we live in.

This is how I do a lot of my listening, however I replaced the Mini with a Pro because I wanted the Sqeezelite functionality to play LMS.

With a decent headphone amp/DAC and the headphones PEQ'd the sound is stunning.

This is how I do a lot of my listening, however I replaced the Mini with a Pro because I wanted the Sqeezelite functionality to play LMS.

With a decent headphone amp/DAC and the headphones PEQ'd the sound is stunning.

Well the room correction seems to work on Android.

Slight improvement to audio dynamics, big improvement on soundstaging.

I'm impressed.

Well done WiiM.
ad.
Sorry posted this in the wrong thread. Should be in RC thre

Last edited:
Back