A minor thing with Tidal in WiiM Home

GregE

Tidal have removed all MQA content from their servers and all HiRes Music is FLAC. In the WiiM Home app when you select Tidal for streaming it still has menu entries for MQA Albums and MQA Playlists. I do not know if that is programmed into WiiM Home or if it is an artefact of Tidal Connect. But either way the menus entries are now defunct.

Yes, this is true, but there is the possibility that a given service could take back MQA and many have local MQA files that can be still unfolded by wiim app.
Anyway, to be precise, in a different way as Tidal did Las summer for hi-res MQA's, totally replaced by hi-res flac, this turn Tidal didn't replace 44.1KHz 16bit MQA files but simply removed the flag or header, leaving the pcm content untouched. This make sense, because pcm content among 44.1KHz 16bit MQA and 44.1KHz 16bit master they are derived from, is the same.
You can check this with some dac, like the Bluos ones on Nad amps, despite Tidal removed the MQA badge and even WiiM app doesn't recognize them as MQA, Bluos dac still decode those file as MQA, exactly as before.
I'm not sure that makes me happy, since NAD's have some not so frequently little problems with 88.2KHz, the frequency to are unfolded those MQA's...

Last edited:
Tidal removed MQA, so those menus in WiiM Home are now useless. It might be a bug in the app. Maybe report this to WiiM support to remove those options. It annoys me too!

Greetings, Andrew :)

Tidal removed MQA, so those menus in WiiM Home are now useless. It might be a bug in the app. Maybe report this to WiiM support to remove those options. It annoys me too!

Greetings, Andrew :)
Please read what I wrote before...

Funny thing is, I still find these now obsolete menu entries kind of useful just randomly browsing for well recorded music. :)

Yes, this is true, but there is the possibility that a given service could take back MQA and many have local MQA files that can be still unfolded by wiim app.
Anyway, to be precise, in a different way as Tidal did Las summer for hi-res MQA's, totally replaced by hi-res flac, this turn Tidal didn't replace 44.1KHz 16bit MQA files but simply removed the flag or header, leaving the pcm content untouched. This make sense, because pcm content among 44.1KHz 16bit MQA and 44.1KHz 16bit master they are derived from, is the same.
You can check this with some dac, like the Bluos ones on Nad amps, despite Tidal removed the MQA badge and even WiiM app doesn't recognize them as MQA, Bluos dac still decode those file as MQA, exactly as before.
I'm not sure that makes me happy, since NAD's have some not so frequently little problems with 88.2KHz, the frequency to are unfolded those MQA's...
Sure and that is all true, but at the end of the day there are no more MQA playlists as such, and no more MQA albums even if the CD quality files are just MQA without the header. I feed the output of my WiiM Mini via spdif to an SMSL SU-9 and it probably decodes as MQA for some files, I have not watched the display that closely. I am guessing it will all fix itself in time.

Back