Added Ultra to system, midrange distorted

Terestron

Just received my Ultra today and installed it in my system. When I turned it on it sounded horrible. Especially the midrange. I have a Gemtune 10W tube amp driving two Kilpsch Heresy speakers.

I was able to play with the EQ (in Home app) and get it sounding pretty good but all the mid range freqs are pulled down as far as they can go. I also dropped the line out level to 800 mVrms ( from 2Vrms in the home app) which seemed to help a good amount but lost some overall volume.

I am also driving a Klipsch powered sub via LFE and Ultra Sub OUT and it sounds fantastic. I am wondering if the power amp just is not cutting it.

When I just had the amp with components connected to it directly it has been flawless for years.

I did buy a 7 channel preamp last month and also noticed I had to turn down the middle freqs to drop distortion. I ended up returning it and buying the Ultra (wanted the extra features).

If it matters I am using Tidal Connect.

I am suspecting it has to do with my 10W per channel tube amp. If someone could help explain what is happening that would be much appreciated.

Just received my Ultra today and installed it in my system. When I turned it on it sounded horrible. Especially the midrange. I have a Gemtune 10W tube amp driving two Kilpsch Heresy speakers.

I was able to play with the EQ (in Home app) and get it sounding pretty good but all the mid range freqs are pulled down as far as they can go. I also dropped the line out level to 800 mVrms ( from 2Vrms in the home app) which seemed to help a good amount but lost some overall volume.

I am also driving a Klipsch powered sub via LFE and Ultra Sub OUT and it sounds fantastic. I am wondering if the power amp just is not cutting it.

When I just had the amp with components connected to it directly it has been flawless for years.

I did buy a 7 channel preamp last month and also noticed I had to turn down the middle freqs to drop distortion. I ended up returning it and buying the Ultra (wanted the extra features).

If it matters I am using Tidal Connect.

I am suspecting it has to do with my 10W per channel tube amp. If someone could help explain what is happening that would be much appreciated.
Could be the amp. Not sure. I have an ultra streaming tidal connect to my Willsenton r8 tube amp. About 25 watts in triode if I remember correct. Speakers are Wharfdale Denton 85’s also using the ultras sub out to RSL 10smkii. I ran room correction. Sounds super good to my ears. Will follow this and see what others say.

Could be the amp. Not sure. I have an ultra streaming tidal connect to my Willsenton r8 tube amp. About 25 watts in triode if I remember correct. Speakers are Wharfdale Denton 85’s also using the ultras sub out to RSL 10smkii. I ran room correction. Sounds super good to my ears. Will follow this and see what others say.
I ran room correction and it made the sound really bad.

Interested I ran Harmon and B&K. Both Tanner the sound signature perfectly. Different room scenarios I’m guessing
If I turn the volume down to like 20 it is fine. turn it up and the sound just goes distorted. It is like the power amp can handle the signal from the ultra EQ.

If I turn the volume down to like 20 it is fine. turn it up and the sound just goes distorted. It is like the power amp can handle the signal from the ultra EQ.
It could be amp. The Klipsch are super easy speakers to drive though.

Post the results here from you're RC..maybe some people can help adjusting the peq values?

Looks like I solved the problem. It was the RCA cable I bought a couple weeks ago. Swapped it out with the RCA cable that came with the WiiM Ultra and it was a HUGE improvement. No more distortion and now running 30 to 50 in volume instead of 75 to 90 to get the same level of sound.
I appreciate everyone's input and hope this helps someone else. Check your RCA cable first! Even if it was brand new like mine.

Well at least it gave me a reason to research these new amps coming out!

Looks like I solved the problem. It was the RCA cable I bought a couple weeks ago. Swapped it out with the RCA cable that came with the WiiM Ultra and it was a HUGE improvement. No more distortion and now running 30 to 50 in volume instead of 75 to 90 to get the same level of sound.
I appreciate everyone's input and hope this helps someone else. Check your RCA cable first! Even if it was brand new like mine.

Well at least it gave me a reason to research these new amps coming out!
What was the cable you bought? Maybe it didn't fit in the Ultra properly.

It was a Monoprice Premium Two- Channel Audio Cable - 3 feet - 2 RCA plug to 2 RCA plug 22AWG, Male to male. From Amazon. It seemed to fit fine.

If rc done correctly it will give you diffuse soundfield that add width and depth. If not, you get muffled sound.

Is it perhaps clipping? If you’re applying PEQ/ room correction, set the volume limit lower in the WiiM audio settings to compensate
I have a question related to this comment. I’m using my ultra only as a digital streamer into my rme dac connected via usb. The level meters on my dac indicate clipping if I try and use the ultra with graphic eq applied and volume set on 100. Using the level meter on my dac I figured out an ultra volume of 65 produces a strong signal without clipping. This setup sounds fantastic but I’m worried I might be leaving something on the table using the ultra at less than 100 but you’re suggesting this is necessary when using eq? Just want to make sure I’m not not missing out on sound quality with this setup.

I have a question related to this comment. I’m using my ultra only as a digital streamer into my rme dac connected via usb. The level meters on my dac indicate clipping if I try and use the ultra with graphic eq applied and volume set on 100. Using the level meter on my dac I figured out an ultra volume of 65 produces a strong signal without clipping. This setup sounds fantastic but I’m worried I might be leaving something on the table using the ultra at less than 100 but you’re suggesting this is necessary when using eq? Just want to make sure I’m not not missing out on sound quality with this setup.
How much EQ are you applying? Ot mist be a lot if you need to reduce the output to 65.

I set up it up like I did back in the day when I had a separate graphic eq. Perhaps it’s too much for digital? IMG_2424.png

I set up it up like I did back in the day when I had a separate graphic eq. Perhaps it’s too much for digital? View attachment 10858
With 10dB boost you should be OK reducing the output to 100-(10/0.6) which is 83. You could also achieve the same EQ by moving all the sliders down by the same amount. If you move them all down by 9.9dB you can leave the Ultra output at 100.

With 10dB boost you should be OK reducing the output to 100-(10/0.6) which is 83. You could also achieve the same EQ by moving all the sliders down by the same amount. If you move them all down by 9.9dB you can leave the Ultra output at 100.
Thanks for the suggestion. The setting of 65 is admittedly conservative to provide enough head room for changes in ref levels of different types of music. As a test a I turned off the eq and set vol at 100 and I’m still seeing very occasional clipping for bass heavy music (but it’s mostly in range). Line out on ultra is set to 2 Vrms. Perhaps an adjustment with pre-gain setting in WHA would help?

As a test a I turned off the eq and set vol at 100 and I’m still seeing very occasional clipping for bass heavy music (but it’s mostly in range). Line out on ultra is set to 2 Vrms.
The analogue line output voltage (2 V or whatever) has no influence on the digital USB output.

The volume limit setting (found in Audio Settings) should be your preferred tool to avoid digital clipping. The main function of pre-gain is just to reach equal loudness between different sources.

Regarding your GEQ setting:
IMG_2424.jpg

Wouldn't it make sense to pull down all sliders by, say, 7 dB?
Hoosier2.jpg

The max. gain to worry about would be reduced to just 2.9 dB and the difference in loudness between EQ on and off should also be reduced.

Last edited:
Back