Analogue In = Analogue Out?

RicoF

I'm wondering if the RCA inputs can be output directly as is?
In my chain I prefer short, direct signal paths.
The Wiim will probably convert everything that goes in analog to A/D first, right?

The Wiim will probably convert everything that goes in analog to A/D first, right?
Yes, it does. Otherwise it wasn't possible to e.g. apply all the sneaky DSP stuff and digital volume control.

I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Yes, OK, sure, it has advantages.
But I prefer to listen to my tape and vinyl analogue.
But just out of interest, what about the latency (delay)?

Yes, OK, sure, it has advantages.
But just out of interest, what about the latency (delay)?
Delay in relation to what?
Wouldn't it only be an issue if the source is playing to something else too?

Well, I once had a Marantz PM7000N and with room coupling there was a disturbing delay when you only heard the needle touch down 10 seconds later. Without coupling there was no delay.

Well, I once had a Marantz PM7000N and with room coupling there was a disturbing delay when you only heard the needle touch down 10 seconds later. Without coupling there was no delay.
Room coupling = Heos multiroom?

Ok, with wiim multiroom there will definitely be a delay, but not 10 secs!
With most sources (apart from tv lip sync) grouping is not really a noticable delay as there's no reference.
I reckon somewhere around 0.5 - 1 sec delay when I group wiims.
But yes, the needle will drop a short while before the music starts, after that it's irrelevant!

It's up to you, of course, but isn't the result more important in the end than the way it is achieved? I went with high quality analogue equipment for a very long time, but Lyngdorf convinced me of a better.way.to listen to my records. Now, WiiM comes close in some aspects for very little money and I like it. :)

Without coupling there was no delay.
Each and every wireless multi-room solution will inevitably introduce some latency, there's simply no way around it. Having sources play in sync is usually considered much more important than having the lowest latency for each individual device.

Yes, it does. Otherwise it wasn't possible to e.g. apply all the sneaky DSP stuff and digital volume control.

I wouldn't want to have it any other way.
So do I understand correctly then that if I have say an 8-track player connected to Line-In on my Ultra the unit converts that analog signal to digital in order to manage the audio? So would the Line-In input resolution make a difference? I wasn’t sure what setting to use for 8-track player so right now it’s on 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.

So do I understand correctly then that if I have say an 8-track player connected to Line-In on my Ultra the unit converts that analog signal to digital in order to manage the audio?
Correct.

So would the Line-In input resolution make a difference? I wasn’t sure what setting to use for 8-track player so right now it’s on 16 bit / 44.1 kHz.
It could make a difference, at least in theory. You have to judge for yourself if there really is any perceivable difference.

Higher values may not always result in better performance. As stated elsewhere, the ADC shows higher noise at a sampling frequency of 192 kHz than 96 kHz. 16 bit / 44.1 kHz isn't necessarily insufficient. Does your 8 track player offer the same level of resolution as a Red Book CD?

Given that the 8-track player is analog maybe the Input Resolution setting has no bearing whatsoever. And maybe that's why I couldn't perceive any noticeable change when playing around with the settings. IF ... the input coming in was say a CD player (aka "Digital" source) than maybe the resolution setting would apply. Does that make sense??

Red Book CD:

• Sampling rate: 44.1 kHz
  • Bit depth: 16 bits
  • Dynamic range: Wide
  • Frequency response: Excellent
8-track tape:

• Sampling rate: Analog (no fixed sampling rate)
  • Bit depth: Analog (no fixed bit depth)
  • Dynamic range: Limited compared to CDs
  • Frequency response: Good, but not as wide as CDs

When you pump a CD output via analog to anything it becomes PCM audio. The resolution isn’t really relevant after it’s gone through a DAC.
The ADC in the WiiM takes the PCM and converts it to whatever digital settings you tell it.

Given that the 8-track player is analog maybe the Input Resolution setting has no bearing whatsoever. And maybe that's why I couldn't perceive any noticeable change when playing around with the settings. IF ... the input coming in was say a CD player (aka "Digital" source) than maybe the resolution setting would apply. Does that make sense??
Well, almost.

If you connect the CD player's stereo RCA output to the WiiM's line input, then the CD player is still an analogue source, because the digital signal has already been converted to analogue by its built-in DAC.

If you connect the CD player's optical output to the WiiM's optical input, then we are talking about a digital signal and the WiiM has to detect the sample rate and bit depths and sync to that.

The input resolution setting applies to the ADC, the Analogue to Digital Converter, that turns every analogue input signal I to a digital signal. You can choose what the results of this ADC process should be prior to further processing. Most probably there is simply no difference to be heard for that 8 track tape.

Well, almost.

If you connect the CD player's stereo RCA output to the WiiM's line input, then the CD player is still an analogue source, because the digital signal has already been converted to analogue by its built-in DAC.

If you connect the CD player's optical output to the WiiM's optical input, then we are talking about a digital signal and the WiiM has to detect the sample rate and bit depths and sync to that.

The input resolution setting applies to the ADC, the Analogue to Digital Converter, that turns every analogue input signal I to a digital signal. You can choose what the results of this ADC process should be prior to further processing. Most probably there is simply no difference to be heard for that 8 track tape.
You said it better

Back