Associate audio settings with preset buttons

therourke

The Ultra has a lot more inputs and outputs than other WiiM devices. It would be extremely beneficial if the remote control could be programmed to switch between them easily.

If we could apply any audio input or output to the presets, then the buttons could function to switch easily. So I could set my buttons to: Preset 1 = HDMI input, Preset 2 = Optical input, Preset 3 = USB output, Preset 4 = Line Out.

This would be extremely useful and extend the value of the remote control.

The Ultra has a lot more inputs and outputs than other WiiM devices. It would be extremely beneficial if the remote control could be programmed to switch between them easily.

If we could apply any audio input or output to the presets, then the buttons could function to switch easily. So I could set my buttons to: Preset 1 = HDMI input, Preset 2 = Optical input, Preset 3 = USB output, Preset 4 = Line Out.

This would be extremely useful and extend the value of the remote control.
This would be incredibly useful. It would be nice if the preset saved the entire state of audio settings (Input, Output, Fixed Volume Output, EQ, etc)

This would be incredibly useful. It would be nice if the preset saved the entire state of audio settings (Input, Output, Fixed Volume Output, EQ, etc)
The idea of "profiles" containing a number of settings has been requested before. Might be worth searching for the request and upvote it as well.

Last edited:
Maybe for each settings item in the app for "Audio Output", "Audio Input" & "EQ/PEQ" a preset 1-4 can be selected, or deleted. If any of those are activated then pressing the "Source" button on the remote would wait for a preset button to be pressed. Playback would then change to any output, input and EQ/PEQ associated with that preset.

Alternatively, a separate sub-menu in the device's settings could have an on/off toggle for source/output presets, and preset 1-4 options would be assigned below that. Each audio preset could be activated either through that menu in the app or from the remote as described above.

If there are no such presets, or it's toggled "off", then the remote's source button would default to its current action.

This topic adds a further point to the remote requests:

and is also related to "presets/setups/scenes" topic:

or:

Maybe it could work by having a line at the top of Device > Settings > Presets named "Input/Output Presets" with an on/off toggle. If the toggle is "Off" the source button on the remote would work as it currently does.

Selecting "Input/Output Presets" would bring up a sub-menu like the image below. Each "Input/Output Preset" would be set from a pull-down menu and would be activated from the remote control by pressing "Source", then pressing 1-4.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Wouldn’t it suffice and be simpler to have a save/restore settings option under device settings, perhaps with a checklist of what individual settings you want to save? My photo editing software has such an option where you can select what set of editing attributes you want saved as a preset, and indeed on restore which you want applied over your current settings.

Wouldn’t it suffice and be simpler to have a save/restore settings option under device settings, perhaps with a checklist of what individual settings you want to save? My photo editing software has such an option where you can select what set of editing attributes you want saved as a preset, and indeed on restore which you want applied over your current settings.
By having choices for source, output and EQ/PEQ for each preset, with a "No Action" option for each choice, users would have far more flexibility to use presets according to need. Some might want to only have four EQ/PEQ choices without changing sources or output zones. Some might have two different output zones and would only want presets to change sources. Etc...

Maybe even add a choice for volume where it could be set to 100% for a particular source with it's own volume control. Or it could be set to 10% with other settings at "No Action" to have a volume dim function. This would be very flexible since we all seem to have different needs.

It'd be great to be able to assign a preset button to engage sync audio multi-room mode too.

For example, having a secondary pair of speakers syncing with the main room system, press button 1 on the kitchen area remote and quickly turn on a pair of ceiling speakers...

It'd be great to be able to assign a preset button to engage sync audio multi-room mode too.

For example, having a secondary pair of speakers syncing with the main room system, press button 1 on the kitchen area remote and quickly turn on a pair of ceiling speakers...
That seems tricky. Let's say you have devices named "Main" and "Kitchen". Maybe for both "Main" and "Kitchen" there could be a setting for "Current Group" which would set the current sending and receiving devices. That preset could be activated on either end. The other way would be for the receiving device to be able to pick a sending device. For "Kitchen", the "Sending Device" option could be set to "Main". The "Input" option would be unavailable if "Sending Device" is used.

I also think the current way WiiM handles music presets will need to be improved eventually. Where there are multiple users, each one should be able to have their own music presets, and each user should be able to use the same music presets for all WiiM devices. Ideally their would be a user account for storing that information and each app installation would be signed in to an account. Without user accounts music presets could be stored in the app, which means they would need to be set up again when changing IOS or Android devices. Not ideal, but better than the current method.

I think it's more logical to move music presets from devices to users, and use device-specific presets for hardware functions.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is considered to be so complicated. Here's a way I can imagine to allocate ANY settings to any preset button very, very easily:
  1. Inside the WiiM app, find the setting you wish to allocate to a preset button. For instance:
    - Go to the 'Audio Output' menu and find the setting 'USB Out'. *
    - Go to the 'Audio Input' menu and find the setting 'TV' (HDMI). *
    - Go to the 'EQ' menu and find the setting to turn 'EQ' off or on.
    - Go to ANY MENU YOU LIKE and find the setting ANY SETTING YOU LIKE.
  2. Hold down your finger on your chosen setting for 2 seconds.
  3. A sub-menu pops up, saying "Set to 'Preset' number on remote control" and a list between 1 and 4.
  4. Click the preset you want to allocate: i.e. 1 or 3.
That's it.

* To add the option to scroll through inputs or output, there could be entries added to each list to 'Choose next input' or 'Choose previous output' - or these could just be added as < and > arrows, or something simple. This would then allow a user to select a preset button to switch to the next/previous input or output and flick between them extremely easily using the remote.

I don't think this would be difficult to code into the WiiM app, and it would be extremely easy to teach users how to do it using the same tutorial images that WiiM have implemented for things like syncing the remote, or using Room EQ.

It's really really easy and powerful.

Last edited:
My Yamaha AVR has 8 scene buttons, and I can save the entire current playback settings by long pressing the scene button. Also, the scene setup screen has lots of checkboxes, so I can choose only the items I need.

I like this simple preset feature.

My Yamaha AVR has 8 scene buttons, and I can save the entire current playback settings by long pressing the scene button. Also, the scene setup screen has lots of checkboxes, so I can choose only the items I need.

I like this simple preset feature.
Something like attached image?

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 5
Something like attached image?
Similar, but perhaps a bit simpler and more versatile.

1000001109.jpg
In the scene settings screen, you turn on the item to save presets for each of the 8 scenes. So far, I think it is the same. Then simply play any source, change the volume, EQ, etc. to your liking, and long press the scene button. The next time you use device, press the scene button to run the scene.

To be honest, I couldn't pinpoint how your suggestion would work.
Is it the same? 🤔

Similar, but perhaps a bit simpler and more versatile.

View attachment 10644
In the scene settings screen, you turn on the item to save presets for each of the 8 scenes. So far, I think it is the same. Then simply play any source, change the volume, EQ, etc. to your liking, and long press the scene button. The next time you use device, press the scene button to run the scene.

To be honest, I couldn't pinpoint how your suggestion would work.
Is it the same? 🤔
Where I think my idea is somewhat different from Yamaha is the "scenes" aren't preset anywhere else. What I'd call a device configuration would be the sum of the input, output, volume and EQ/PEQ assigned to each WiiM device, which could then be associated with presets. Perhaps you could name each of those presets for easy reference.

If the idea is to retain music selection presets on the remote, then a sequence like "Input" and "Preset (1-4)" could select the device configuration.

I also think it makes sense in a multi-user household for different individuals to have their own music selection presets, but I don't see how that could be implemented on the remote control. Maybe music selection presets 1-4 would be set for the device and 5 and up could be stored in each user's app. Or just give up on that idea.

I also think it makes sense in a multi-user household for different individuals to have their own music selection presets, but I don't see how that could be implemented on the remote control. Maybe music selection presets 1-4 would be set for the device and 5 and up could be stored in each user's app. Or just give up on that idea.

What situations would require presets for multi-user?

Personally, I do not believe that WiiM needs to consider presets for multi-user. (That would be synonymous with increasing the number of presets that can be registered.)

Also while there is a limit to the number of presets that can be registered, for me it would be ideal to be able to execute presets via voice remote control or Alexa (routines). In this case, the number could be more, not limited to 4 presets by remote buttons.

However I have not been able to use all 8 of the Yamaha scene buttons.🤣 Too many presets may conversely cause confusion. In reality, it may be more appropriate to use normal remote control operation (or other control methods) together, depending on the situation, rather than controlling everything with presets.

In any case, I am looking forward to the arrival of the second generation WiiM remote (Pro). 😄

What situations would require presets for multi-user?

Personally, I do not believe that WiiM needs to consider presets for multi-user. (That would be synonymous with increasing the number of presets that can be registered.)

Also while there is a limit to the number of presets that can be registered, for me it would be ideal to be able to execute presets via voice remote control or Alexa (routines). In this case, the number could be more, not limited to 4 presets by remote buttons.

However I have not been able to use all 8 of the Yamaha scene buttons.🤣 Too many presets may conversely cause confusion. In reality, it may be more appropriate to use normal remote control operation (or other control methods) together, depending on the situation, rather than controlling everything with presets.

In any case, I am looking forward to the arrival of the second generation WiiM remote (Pro).
First, I was referring to multi-user music presets (not device options such as input/output/etc). Different people in a household usually prefer different radio stations, music genres, playlists, etc. You don't have teenagers in your household, do you? ;-) So I could imagine something like presets 1-4 assigned to the device and to the remote control. Then maybe something like presets A-J which are stored in each users WiiM app on their phone or tablet. The quick select row across the top of the "Browse" tab in the app would show device presets 1-4 and user presets A-J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back