Auto-Sensing of HDMI and Optical issue

wavetomars

In my quest for a workaround to the lack of AirPlay, I recently hooked up an AirPort Express to the optical port of the Wiim Ultra. I am also using the ARC port (as my primary input about 90% of the time).

Unfortunately, the “Auto-sensing of Optical In & HDMI” setting seems very finicky, particularly when both of those inputs are plugged in. I tried disabling HDMI-CEC power control, rebooted the device several times, to no avail. It doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue if only one of the inputs is plugged in. Also, manually switching inputs works fine.

I saw here that there appears to be a similar known issue with the Wiim Amp: https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/solutions/articles/72000622978-wiim-amp-known-issues

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Or would anyone be willing to test it out on their end? Thanks so much!

Hi wavetomars,

Could you please provide more details about the issues you're experiencing so we can address them promptly? Are you having trouble with automatic switching to the HDMI or optical port when auto-sensing is enabled?

I can do some more testing, but my impression was that if both inputs are hooked up, then auto-switching to either of them was inconsistent. When I had HDMI-CEC power enabled, it didn’t seem to auto-switch to optical at all. When it was disabled, it seemed to be inconsistent.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, auto sensing the optical port seems to work. If I unplug the optical cable and plug in HDMI again, auto sensing seems to work.

I currently have auto sensing turned off for the Line In port, so I can’t say how that might impact things.

I can do some more testing, but my impression was that if both inputs are hooked up, then auto-switching to either of them was inconsistent. When I had HDMI-CEC power enabled, it didn’t seem to auto-switch to optical at all. When it was disabled, it seemed to be inconsistent.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, auto sensing the optical port seems to work. If I unplug the optical cable and plug in HDMI again, auto sensing seems to work.

I currently have auto sensing turned off for the Line In port, so I can’t say how that might impact things.
Thanks wavetomars. We'll check it out and hope to resolve this shortly.

I have the Ultra connected via HDMI to the TV and optical out to an external DAC. The auto sensing function is not working. Would Coaxial output also have this issue?

I have the Ultra connected via HDMI to the TV and optical out to an external DAC. The auto sensing function is not working. Would Coaxial output also have this issue?
The output shouldn't have any bearing on this functionality.

Have you enabled auto sensing in the Audio Input screen?
Is anything playing at the time?

To add to this conversation, I submitted a ticket via the app and also sent Wiim support an email (in addition to starting this thread that @WiiM Support said they would response) and haven’t heard anything (I believe it has been over 2 weeks now).

@Bikesnbeats, just to give you another data point, I haven’t had an issue with input sensing of HDMI, except when I also have something connected to the optical input.

I can tell you that I have used both RCA out and optical out in conjunction with HDMI auto sensing and it worked just fine. That said, I also have HDMI CEC enabled, so perhaps that is responsible for the proper input switching (I’m not totally sure how the HDMI auto sensing and HDMI CEC settings interact).

I would check the settings the other poster mentioned, and also turn on HDMI CEC on the Wiim, and check that it’s enabled on your source as well.

Back