Auto sensing of Optical Input is too fast

slartibartfast

Major Contributor
I know virtually every firmware update has
"Refining auto sensing" as a feature but now the amp seems far too keen to switch to the Optical Input. If I have the TV on in the background but I am listening to music over Ethernet the input switches to Optical within five seconds of the final track ending. This is fairly annoying to say the least.

I’m not sure what behavior you want.
A longer delay before switching I suppose. To give time to choose another track. Maybe 30 seconds, it will always be a compromise. I only have auto sensing turned on because the remote is a pain to use to switch inputs.

If I’m starting a movie, I don’t want a thirty second delay.

At the moment I’m using a Sonos Port, which has a very brief delay, if any.

If I’m starting a movie, I don’t want a thirty second delay.
Well no. Maybe make the delay selectable and only applicable if the TV input is active at the same time as ethernet. If the TV is turned on when no other inputs are active then switch immediately.

That's why I always turn off the auto sensing, and prefer to set the input via the WHA, then I'm in control of it.

That's why I always turn off the auto sensing, and prefer to set the input via the WHA, then I'm in control of it.
That might well be my preferred setting for now. At the moment I can't even pause an ethernet track for more than five seconds 🤣

It can be very annoying, my TV is connected via optical to my Amp, but most of the time I listen to the TV via the built in speakers.
If I'm watching a music programme on TV, or via YouTube, I will probably listen via my Amp and speakers.

This is confusing. Are you watching a program on TV?

I guess this is the advantage of ARC.

I am at the moment, and my Amp is off, just how I like it.

ARC isn't an option for me, as the HDMI ports on my TV are all currently in use.

I don't think that ARC would offer me anything that I don't get via the optical cable.

I am at the moment, and my Amp is off, just how I like it.

ARC isn't an option for me, as the HDMI ports on my TV are all currently in use.

I don't think that ARC would offer me anything that I don't get via the optical cable.
Control of volume and muting.

Control of volume and muting.
I can already do that with my WiiM Remote, and/or my TV Remote as required.

If I had a spare HDMI port, I may be tempted to try it, but would have to turn off the HDMI-CEC Power Control.

If I had a spare HDMI port, I may be tempted to try it, but would have to turn off the HDMI-CEC Power Control.
The function you want is to mute the optical output. If you google this you will find humdres, maybe thousands of people agree with you. Alas, the system designers have made this impossible.

But I want automatic switching to be faster than five seconds.

I know virtually every firmware update has
"Refining auto sensing" as a feature but now the amp seems far too keen to switch to the Optical Input. If I have the TV on in the background but I am listening to music over Ethernet the input switches to Optical within five seconds of the final track ending. This is fairly annoying to say the least.
Best to file a ticket in the app.

If it's that finicky to find a balance, maybe they can set a bunch of timeout periods as an advanced feature, but provide a good default that hits the broadest use case.

I had the same problem. Not enough HDMI ports. I bought a HDMI switch for $12 on Amazon. Now the TV remote and Roku remote control the volume.

What I would appreciate is having all input auto sensed. On the Pro Plus I put my phono through the line in with a phono preamp and If the other user at the abode wanted a record she could just put it on and it would play. Now that it has it's own input on the ultra the input must be seperately chosen. Please return my house calm!

Sorry for a semi off-topic question:
Can anyone explain how auto-sensing should behave in the following situation:
- my TV is connected to my AMP via line-in (only option I have at the moment)
- I have auto-sensing enabled on line input
- If the AMP is off, when I switch on the TV, the AMP switches on and line-in is active (that's OK)
- When the AMP is on and I listen to Internet radio (for example) and switch on the TV, nothing changes - AMP stays on the radio station (is this OK?)
My understanding of auto-sensing is that when I switch the TV on, the AMP should switch to that input, regardless of the input that was active before. Am I wrong?
Thank you

Back