Bose SA4 Amp / 251Speakers - Possible Replacement

RedkKen

I'm looking to update our 8 year old Bose set up and am considering WiiM Pro though - I would have really liked an integrated amplifier.

Our Bose SA4 and 251 Garden speakers is no longer updated and as we're expanding to multiple rooms and speakers, like the connectivity and streaming options WiiM gives

The speakers are great outdoor garden speakers (around 100w each) though I'll need an amp / dac of some kind - That I can plug the speakers into and plug a WiiM pro into via optical

I've seen prices of amps vary widely and we're listening in the garden so quality isn't a super worry

I think our Bose set up was originally around £500 for the amp / streamer - With the WiiM pro being £150 - What's a reasonable, simple, optical amp that would be a decent set up

Appreciate all the help and advice

There are so many options in this price range you're spoilt for choice.
However, those speakers' sensitivity is merely 'average' so depending on how much your neighbours like your music you might need a reasonably powerful amp.
Something like the Marantz PM 6007 fits the budget, but may not have quite enough oomph for those speakers, depending on listening volume.

Thanks for the help and advice - I checked out the Marantz PM 6007, though it looked a bit too big and over ported for what we need.

Looking for something smaller that will sit where the current Bose is with ideally hardly any buttons or controls - As it's enclosed and hard to get to.

Also, neighbour is fine with the current Bose set-up which can get pretty loud - We just invite him round :)

Any other thoughts ?

If you can imagine a beside mainstream solution, this one has a nearly unique price/performance value.

Dynavox Stereo compact integrated amplifier VT-90, terminal for 4 speakers, remote control, phono in, bluetooth, black https://amzn.eu/d/cixWOC2

No idea where you live and if it is available in your country. For this price label it is always my first recommendation. No nonsense and in any case worth a try.

Edit: @Mr Ee understood this "enclosed and hard to get to" better than me 😇

Last edited:
Back