Can WiiM read/use Playlists created by RhythmBox on a NAS?

Craig Whitley

I finally got WiiM to see/play files from my OpenMediaVault server.
I have a RhythmBox created Playlist of 50+ songs which the "name" of that PL shows up on my phone in the WiiM app but only contains 7 songs.

It is much easier to create a PL on my laptop via RhythmBox, IF and only IF WiiM can use it. Have no idea why the WiiM app only sees 7 out of 50+songs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you browse your server using another control point (BubbleUPnP/mconnect) do you see all 50 items?
Can you find the missing items if you go through the browse tree e.g. AlbumArtist/Album?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I have VLC on my phone, and when I browse the play lists I see my previously created [in RhythmBox] PL but like WiiM only 7 of 52 songs.

If I open the PL on my laptop I see ALL 52 songs and can play them from the laptop.

Just in case it was some sort of file corruption, I copied to a new file MyPL2023.pls with the same results only 7 of 52 songs.

Just in case this was only a display issue I allowed WiiM to play this PL and it only played 7 songs.

When I create a PL on my phone, is that PL stored on the phone or somewhere on the NAS where all these songs are stored? The reason for asking is I see nothing new in my NAS Music folder indicating any new PL is being created/

You'll need to look at the MiniDLNA (I think that's what OpenMediaVault uses) log files to see why it's not indexing your entire playlist, but I assume it's because the files don't exist on the server, although it could also be permission problems.

Any playlists created in the WiiM app resides on your phone.

The new play lists residing on my phone makes sense so thank you for verifying that.

I've opened up the original RhythmBox PL from my OpenMediaVault server as a text file to see if there is anything strange in the song #7 or #8 slot which may be preventing WiiM and VLC from reading further but other than the song name the entries are identical.

Again, if I point my laptop to this OMV directory on my NAS it will play every song on that list.

I've been, using the text file from the old RhythmBox PL, song by song, browsing OMV on my phone, finding it, then clicking "add to PL" and it pops up and successfully ads it to the phone's PL. It is a bit cumbersome but one way or the other I can reconstruct the original PL. Just glad it was not hundreds of entries.

Thanks again for taking the time.

1 step forward and 12 steps back. Reproduced my original play list on my Phone via WiiM and it played 10 songs then stopped. Now it will not play the PL at all but when I select it, I see WiiM scrolling through a bunch of songs on the play list and finally stopping on somewhere in the middle of the list but still not playing it. I can browse to my All Music and play anything but again nothing from the newly created PL.

I've opened up the original RhythmBox PL from my OpenMediaVault server as a text file to see if there is anything strange in the song #7 or #8 slot which may be preventing WiiM and VLC from reading further but other than the song name the entries are identical.
VLC or the WiiM app don't actually see the playlist, MiniDLNA indexes the playlist and sends the track metadata and URL to the control points, so it's MiniDLNA that's preventing the additonal tracks from being seen, which is why you need to look at the MiniDLNA logs.

Are there characters such as ‘ in the song titles or similar?

1 step forward and 12 steps back. Reproduced my original play list on my Phone via WiiM and it played 10 songs then stopped. Now it will not play the PL at all but when I select it, I see WiiM scrolling through a bunch of songs on the play list and finally stopping on somewhere in the middle of the list but still not playing it. I can browse to my All Music and play anything but again nothing from the newly created PL.
So you created a playlist in the WiiM app, and you can play the individual tracks from the normal browse tree but now the WiiM playlist doesn't work?
I've seen the WiiM scroll through tracks before and that's when it can't play the track. Would be useful to see the URL of one of the songs you're struggling to play. I don't know if you can get that information from VLC but you can from BubbleUPnP with the Show Metadata menu.

EDIT: You can see the URL from VLC, just right click on the track and select Information, although if the track can be played when it's not coming from a WiiM playlist it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I have the miniDLNA logging set to "Error" but no errors are reported.

Starting at song #21 there are a couple with " ' " and one with " , " in the titles which I can clean up.

However, How do I purge the PL I just created, and try to rebuild it with cleaner names? I don't see how to delete this PL.

I have the miniDLNA logging set to "Error" but no errors are reported.
I have no idea whether ERROR would show the playlist failures - or whether it would report them at all - but MiniDLNA is definitely having a problem with the playlist.

Starting at song #21 there are a couple with " ' " and one with " , " in the titles which I can clean up.
I've just tried with a song with ' in the title and filename (although it obviously gets encoded for use in a URL) and it plays fine (using MinimServer), so I don't think that's the problem. Does song 21 play directly? If you add it to a new playlist does it play from the playlist?

From the "All Music" list I currently have no problem playing any song. It WAS playing from my new WiiM create PL but just stopped midway though the list and no way can I get it started again. It will play Internet stations and again anything from "All Music". It is a WiiM Pro if that makes any difference.

From the "All Music" list I currently have no problem playing any song. It WAS playing from my new WiiM create PL but just stopped midway though the list and no way can I get it started again. It will play Internet stations and again anything from "All Music". It is a WiiM Pro if that makes any difference.
If it's acting up I'd do a reboot.
After the reboot, try adding the first 5 tracks to a playlist and run it through (skipping to the next track after 20 seconds or so), then add the next 5 and run it through, and continue until it fails.

Back