Can Wiim Ultra work on a Grado Moving Iron cartridge?

bsacco335

Can Wiim Ultra work on a Grado Moving Iron cartridge? If so, ould it be as good as my ART DJ II turntable preamp if so?

Can Wiim Ultra work on a Grado Moving Iron cartridge? If so, ould it be as good as my ART DJ II turntable preamp if so?
Yes, it will "work". If it handles MM there is no reason not to handle MI, but how could one say something about quality? MI is not extremely common and so is your preamp. You have to find at least one with exactly this setup among those who already own an Ultra and has your ears. Not easy. And nothing what @Smartplug wrote in his first post is wrong.

It seems one or another post was deleted or withdrawn. So forget the last sentence.

It is not how it works, adress WiiM support or WiiM team directly. For sure they will not read every single post. And with your opinion about customer service you are quite alone.

Ok, I take it back. I'm the moron for expecting Wiim to answer my pre-sales question as it appears they do not have any customer service at all.
This is primarily a user forum that WiiM dip in and out of. If you want a direct answer from the horse’s mouth then either use the settings/feedback route in the WiiM Home app or via the email address on their contact page.

Ok, I take it back. I'm the moron for expecting Wiim to answer my pre-sales question as it appears they do not have any customer service at all.
If you have Amazon in your country, you could ask questions directly to the official WiiM store.

This has not been deleted.

Don't they mention Cartridge Load Impedance? That is fairly important.
MM load resistance is standardised at 47 kohms anyway. Deviating from that would mean violating the standard. MIs have to fit the same pattern as there are no distinct MI phono pre-amps.

Knowing the input capacitance would be very helpful, but unfortunately WiiM did not publish this (yet). From my experience Grado MIs unfortunately are just as sensitive to a too high input capacitance as many MMs (e.g. Audio-Technica). Too high values lead to a big hump in the upper highs, but steep loss of output level above this hump.

MC cartridges are a different topic. Not sensitive to input capacitance, but some need more electrical damping (lower input resistance), some need less (higher input resistance) to perform at their best. As of now, the sensitivity of the Ultra's phono in gain can be increased but we don't know if the input resistance is fixed at 47 kohms.

Yep, I never heard back from them...
When you request support be specific using the fewest words for best results. Give them a little time this is a new product.
As more individuals get onboard problems like yours will get answers.
Have you tried any of the suggestions made here?

Back