Control external speaker volume using IR or connected through Logitech Harmony

DG77

I have a setup with two high end active speakers, these are controlled (volume) using IR.

It would be nice to be able to control the volume for these with Wiim Pro as it is connected through SPDIF.

This should be a fairly common setup, I believe active speakers are more and more popular, so this feature would be very appreciated for people not wanting to have to use (yet) another remote to control the volume when you have a smart device like the Wiim.

How could this be implemented:
- Addition of IR port on Wiim Pro as accessory or built into the device
- Add integration with Harmony Remotes, which can send the IR using extender to anything.
- Support of USB IR device that could be purchased and connected to the Wiim Pro

Why can't you just control the speakers themselves, why would you want to control the WiiM volume?
You misunderstand me, I do not want to control the Wiim volume, I want Wiim to be able to control my speakers volume via IR or Harmony, so that I do not need to pick up the speakers remote control, as I probably control Wiim via my app on my phone. or via Voice commands.

Do you understand now?

To explain and give even better example, on the Roon mobile app there are extensions that add the ability to control other devices volume via the apps (or phones volume buttons) and since the speakers are a external device connected via spdif, I want to set volume on them, not digitally via changing the volume coming out of Wiim device itself. The only way to do this is either via IR or via connecting to my Harmony remote Hub that sends our IR to all my devices.

And no I'm not lazy, I just want to have things easy and "Wife friendly".
More devices = more complexity, more remotes = more issues etc.

May be I do not understand right. But if you do not set output level to fixed there is a slider in the WiiM app.
Edit:
Ah ok, I was to fast. I did not notice the "not digital..."

Yeah exactly :) (Not digital)
I prefer not to mess with the digital signal, and people paying for this type of device are in many cases audiophiles, so any "volume" change or EQ messing around is an OCD/ADHD "NO NO!" ;)

And for another type of philosophy, if there is a control already, why not be able to use/integrate that, it's not rocket science (IR / Harmony API).

Either way this was just a feature suggestion / Request / Nice to have.

It does still support it and sell it (at least available stock, until sold out) and the user base is huge.

Integration of the WiiM with the harmony hub wouldn’t help, extender or not, as the hub primarily uses IR to control compatible devices, it doesn’t allow compatible devices to control others in my experience.

My personal experience with the Harmony and the hub have been quite disillusioning. It was NEVER reliable and stable. The integration from a simple NAD amp lasted f.e. two years. I understood the need to create an account, but I did not expect so much scam related to this account.
Just that moment I have two remotes beside, one for the hifi and one for the TV. The TV I could handle via voice control, but it scares me enough to have my car talking to me and to hear my wife commanding the lighting via HUE 😉
Perhaps I remember the good bad days with 6 or 7 remotes on the table..this reduction is enough development for me. I promise I will change once this smart things are finally smart. Today they are not and I stay old fashioned.

My personal experience with the Harmony and the hub have been quite disillusioning. It was NEVER reliable and stable. The integration from a simple NAD amp lasted f.e. two years. I understood the need to create an account, but I did not expect so much scam related to this account.
Just that moment I have two remotes beside, one for the hifi and one for the TV. The TV I could handle via voice control, but it scares me enough to have my car talking to me and to hear my wife commanding the lighting via HUE 😉
Perhaps I remember the good bad days with 6 or 7 remotes on the table..this reduction is enough development for me. I promise I will change once this smart things are finally smart. Today they are not and I stay old fashioned.

My harmony remote/hub is still my remote of choice even although the number of devices I have it controlling has diminished over the years as streaming audio and video have taken over from my CD and DVD players, for example. I think there’s still life in the old dog yet ;)

Back