Crackling and no audio with some apps - Optical line

kcity99

I have a couple WiiM Amps that I run from an optical connection from my TV. I run an Apple TV and recently certain apps don’t want to play any audio through the Amp… peacock, for example, has a clicky, static noise when I start to play a video or live event, but there is no audio after that… but if I were to play the same event via the NBC app the audio is fine. Are there some settings I can change? I haven’t had a problem until now, but I have been noticing more ‘crackling’ initially when apps open. Thanks!

I have a couple WiiM Amp Pros that I run from an optical connection from my TV. I run an Apple TV and recently certain apps don’t want to play any audio through the Pro… peacock, for example, has a clicky, static noise when I start to play a video or live event, but there is no audio after that… but if I were to play the same event via the NBC app the audio is fine. Are there some settings I can change? I haven’t had a problem until now, but I have been noticing more ‘crackling’ initially when apps open. Thanks!
Hi Kcity99,

The WiiM Amp's optical input is only compatible with PCM format. To ensure the best audio experience, go to your Apple TV’s 'Video and Audio' settings, select 'Audio Format,' and select 'PCM' or 'Stereo PCM.' The 'Auto' or ‘Dolby Audio' modes are not supported.

Thank you for the response. I have changed this, but I don’t know if that was the issue. I actually have two WiiM Amps and the optical is split from the tv into each WiiM as they are going to separate wired speaker sets. Now the audio coming from the tv via optical to the WiiM is now only making a static noise that cuts in and out. No audio whatsoever. Everything was working fine until this weekend when we had an Internet outage, now I am hearing static everywhere. Don’t know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have two WiiM Amps and the optical is split from the tv into each WiiM as they are going to separate wired speaker sets.

If you connect only one WiiM amp to the TV without branching, see if the problem goes away.

Everything was working fine until this weekend when we had an Internet outage, now I am hearing static everywhere. Don’t know what to do.
Have you already tried rebooting the router and WiiM?

Also, please try unplugging the TV power cable, then unplugging all cables connected to the TV, then plugging the cable back in after a while and turning it on. At least 10 minutes.

Back