DSD transcoded on the fly to PCM-192kHz?

daydreamer

I've been enjoying the new Squeezelite functionality of the WiiM Pro and thought I'd see what would happen if I played some of my .dsf files from my LMS music library. To my surprise, music immediately played in decent sound quality with my DAC indicating PCM 192kHz.

Firstly, I was not expecting this to work at all, so good news! Second, I verified that no dsdplay executable was running on my LMS server, indicating that the conversion was being done inside the WiiM Pro. Finally, I note that conversion from 2.8224 MHz to 192kHz involves asynchronous rate conversion, while the more logical and simple conversion would have been to 176.4kHz, and could probably have been done with higher technical quality.

If this DSD conversion feature is official, I welcome it, but would have preferred pass through of DoP, or if conversion to PCM is done then a higher quality resampling to 176.4kHz would be desirable. (To my ears, WiiM's conversion from 2.8224MHz 1-bit to 192kHz is not of the same quality as Roon's server-side conversion of the same source material to 176.4kHz when sent via my WiiM Pro to the same DAC.)

Can anyone confirm the current status of DSD processing on WiiM Pro and Pro+ products?

Charles.

The wiim ultra plays dsd256 no problem by converting it to 24/192 pcm but stutters and has dropouts when playing dsd512 files. I sent a message to tech support. I sent the 24/192 to an external geshelli j2 dac via usb and coax with the same stuttering problem.

Back