Earthing sound when idle

garethsnaim

Hello. I installed a wiim mini today with minijack to phonos into a pair of meridian M2s Active speakers.

When in use, superb little set up, if no music playing silent, when playing, fantastic.

However when left idle for a few minutes, that is to say no music playing and it has not played for a few minutes, an 'earthing issue' sound comes out of the speakers.

to be clear this sound is not evident when music has just been playing, that is to say if I am playing something then stop it, the speakers are totally silent. But after a while clearly something is disconnecting or stopping in the mini that then starts an earthing issue. I thought I cracked it when I found a setting for standby mode. I set that to never, but alas, it still does it.

This is clearly not an earthing issue, or poor wires or what ever or one could expect it to do it all the time, When the system is actively being used, even between trackes etc its totally silent, its just when its been idle for a while.

How do I fix this?

Hello. I installed a wiim mini today with minijack to phonos into a pair of meridian M2s Active speakers.

When in use, superb little set up, if no music playing silent, when playing, fantastic.

However when left idle for a few minutes, that is to say no music playing and it has not played for a few minutes, an 'earthing issue' sound comes out of the speakers.

to be clear this sound is not evident when music has just been playing, that is to say if I am playing something then stop it, the speakers are totally silent. But after a while clearly something is disconnecting or stopping in the mini that then starts an earthing issue. I thought I cracked it when I found a setting for standby mode. I set that to never, but alas, it still does it.

This is clearly not an earthing issue, or poor wires or what ever or one could expect it to do it all the time, When the system is actively being used, even between trackes etc its totally silent, its just when its been idle for a while.

How do I fix this?
can you elaborate on what you mean by "earthing sound"? does it sound like when you touch the RCA connectors (e.g. inputs on your sub) with your hand - like a kind of buzzing sound? and does the volume of the sound go up when you increase the volume on your speakers? how about if you increase the volume in the WHA? (assuming you don't use fixed volume output)

Correct like touching the end of a phono.

The sound is fixed regardless of volume.

As I say if you 'activate' it by playing some music the sound goes, even when silent, its after idle.

How do I fix this?

Does the speaker noise disappear when the Mini is on standby and the Mini's AUX cable is unplugged?

If so,
  • Change the Mini's power adapter
  • Change the AUX Output Revel in the Audio settings of the WiiM app
I don't know if this is the solution, but give it a try.

Sounds like a ground loop, and that the noise is only appearing after music stops, because the system is grounded until the WiiM goes to standby, and then you have ground issue.

Check the power cables for the WiiM, and that you have a good ground for your other devices in the chain.

You aren't the only one to report this.
Post in thread 'Hum through speakers when Mini is on' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/hum-through-speakers-when-mini-is-on.3384/post-58893
At least the OP clearly had a different issue where hum would increase depending on level.

@garethsnaim, take note of the standby time setting in the WiiM Home app. If you set it to "Never" (if available) or "1 hour", does that keep the issue from showing?

If so, the a) here is your workaround and b) send.feedback to WiiM through the WiiM Home app (Settings => Send us feedback) right after the issue has occurred. This will send declvice logs along with your message to WiiM, potentially enabling them to recognise the root cause.

Last edited:

How do I fix this?
Hi garethsnaim,

Please check our FAQ article related to this issue. Please let us know if this helps to resolve your issue. Thanks.

Back