Embed any Music Service WEB UI in the Wiim App through Webview

hyperion

Hi,

I think it would be very convenient to be able to open any Music Service WEB UI inside the Wiim App, for exemple Navidrome, Jellyfin, (etc...)

This way Wiim would become compatible with any Subsonic / Plex / etc... any private Media Server.

These services usually don't have DLNA/Airplay capacities, so it would be really great !

Using the default Webview component should make it relatively easy to implement.

All the best

I am not a Roon user, so forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but isn't the purpose of Roon to collect your music from wherever it might be, and present a unified output to the streamer?

In short: doesn't Roon support already cover this?

I am not a Roon user, so forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but isn't the purpose of Roon to collect your music from wherever it might be, and present a unified output to the streamer?

In short: doesn't Roon support already cover this?
Not everyone is or wants to be a Roon user, nor does Roon support all music services as far as I’m aware.

Just think of browsing to a web page in the WiiM app, no matter what it is, and have its audio played back via your WiiM device. You’d then have access to any music service with a web interface, just like you would on your PC.

So this would require capturing the audio on the device running the WiiM app, and distributing it to the WiiM endpoints?
Whilst it's a solution, it sounds like a horrible one, unless I've misunderstood.

So this would require capturing the audio on the device running the WiiM app, and distributing it to the WiiM endpoints?
Whilst it's a solution, it sounds like a horrible one, unless I've misunderstood.
Admittedly I couldn't quite get my head round it either 🤣 Was imagining the WiiM device like a PC running the browser client with the audio being played there and the app dealing with the screen, but that's equally messy. Put it in the 'potentially good idea but not really thought thru' category 🤣

I think the idea is the app renders the webpage on the wiim itself, assuming it has the hardware do to so, the mini might struggle with this? Otherwise it's no different to opening youtube on my phone and clicking cast.

I don't know exactly what software the wiim is running, but I doubt it's equipped to render webpages and then extract the audio locally.

Back